Mouse Troubles

Hey all,

I've been having troubles with the cursor lagging behind when I move the
mouse. In order to grab something from my inventory, I almost have to
sneak up on it otherwise I spend forever trying to get the cursor to
stop in the right spot.

I'm running MW with the Bloodmoon and Tribunal patches on XP. Mouse is
a MS Wireless Optical with the latest drivers.

Any ideas or similar problems?
10 answers Last reply
More about mouse troubles

    that happened to me when I switched mice.
    I am using a wireless optical as well. (logitech mx700 to be exact.)
    I tried a couple of things so I don't know which worked. I changed the
    sensitivity in the main xp mouse settings but that didn't seem to help much.
    then I raised the time it took to have the 'cursor help text' appear when I
    moved the mouse over it. that seemed to help a lot. I don't know if it has
    anything to do with the way the optical or wireless sends info to the
    machine, but my plain rollyball mouse worked a lot smoother.

    "Sentientfluid" <sentientfluid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I've been having troubles with the cursor lagging behind when I move the
    > mouse. In order to grab something from my inventory, I almost have to
    > sneak up on it otherwise I spend forever trying to get the cursor to
    > stop in the right spot.
    >
    > I'm running MW with the Bloodmoon and Tribunal patches on XP. Mouse is
    > a MS Wireless Optical with the latest drivers.
    >
    > Any ideas or similar problems?

    Changing the sensitivity through XP did nothing for me either. I also
    tried changing the cursor help text, but again, nothing.

    Thanks for the suggestion, though. I never though about the help text at
    all. :)

    Andrew E. Wiggin wrote:
    > that happened to me when I switched mice.
    > I am using a wireless optical as well. (logitech mx700 to be exact.)
    > I tried a couple of things so I don't know which worked. I changed the
    > sensitivity in the main xp mouse settings but that didn't seem to help much.
    > then I raised the time it took to have the 'cursor help text' appear when I
    > moved the mouse over it. that seemed to help a lot. I don't know if it has
    > anything to do with the way the optical or wireless sends info to the
    > machine, but my plain rollyball mouse worked a lot smoother.
    >

    > "Sentientfluid" <sentientfluid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hey all,
    >>
    >>I've been having troubles with the cursor lagging behind when I move the
    >>mouse. In order to grab something from my inventory, I almost have to
    >>sneak up on it otherwise I spend forever trying to get the cursor to
    >>stop in the right spot.
    >>
    >>I'm running MW with the Bloodmoon and Tribunal patches on XP. Mouse is
    >>a MS Wireless Optical with the latest drivers.
    >>
    >>Any ideas or similar problems?

    Is your mouse smooth in other games?
    When I used Logitech Dual Optical Wireless mouse, it happened to me. Mouse
    was slow/lagging in windows, while totally unplayable in games. I switched
    to Logitech Mx500 wired mouse, and it's smooth as baby's butt ;)

    1 more tip: Could be too low fps in menus? Try using Morrowind FPS
    optimiser, with "enhance fps in menus" option enabled

    "Sentientfluid" <sentientfluid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I've been having troubles with the cursor lagging behind when I move the
    > mouse. In order to grab something from my inventory, I almost have to
    > sneak up on it otherwise I spend forever trying to get the cursor to
    > stop in the right spot.
    >
    > I'm running MW with the Bloodmoon and Tribunal patches on XP. Mouse is
    > a MS Wireless Optical with the latest drivers.
    >
    > Any ideas or similar problems?

    My mouse is smooth any other time it's being used, no matter the
    program. The only place I have trouble with it is in Morrowind.

    I'll try FPS Optimizer, I beleive I have it sitting somewhere on my
    computer and just never got around to checking it out. After that I'll
    be trying an older optical I have, and if that doesn't help, then I'll

    Thanks for the advice. :)

    AseStar wrote:

    > Is your mouse smooth in other games?
    > When I used Logitech Dual Optical Wireless mouse, it happened to me. Mouse
    > was slow/lagging in windows, while totally unplayable in games. I switched
    > to Logitech Mx500 wired mouse, and it's smooth as baby's butt ;)
    >
    > 1 more tip: Could be too low fps in menus? Try using Morrowind FPS
    > optimiser, with "enhance fps in menus" option enabled
    >

    > "Sentientfluid" <sentientfluid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hey all,
    >>
    >>I've been having troubles with the cursor lagging behind when I move the
    >>mouse. In order to grab something from my inventory, I almost have to
    >>sneak up on it otherwise I spend forever trying to get the cursor to
    >>stop in the right spot.
    >>
    >>I'm running MW with the Bloodmoon and Tribunal patches on XP. Mouse is
    >>a MS Wireless Optical with the latest drivers.
    >>
    >>Any ideas or similar problems?

    A little more detail on the problem:

    The cursor is fine and dandy on the opening menu. The one with New,
    Load, Options, etc. If I go into Options from there, for example, the
    mouse moves as it should.

    However, once I start a game, whether new or a saved game, the mouse
    lags. There is about a half second delay between me moving the mouse,
    and the cursor moving on the screen. The cursor moves just as fast as I
    move the mouse, there is just that half second lag time between omving
    the mouse and the cursor actually moving on screen.

    FPS Optimizer made little to no diffference.

    I swapped to a corded optical mouse (also changing to the drivers for
    that mouse). Same thing.

    I swapped to an old ball mouse. Same problem.

    My next thought is to replace the morrowind.ini file with a copy that
    was made just after an install of MW, Bloodmoon, & Tribunal. I don't
    have one, though. Anyone have one I can borrow for a bit? :D

    "Andrew E. Wiggin" <noone@home.com> wrote:

    >that happened to me when I switched mice.
    >I am using a wireless optical as well. (logitech mx700 to be exact.)
    >I tried a couple of things so I don't know which worked. I changed the
    >sensitivity in the main xp mouse settings but that didn't seem to help much.
    >then I raised the time it took to have the 'cursor help text' appear when I
    >moved the mouse over it. that seemed to help a lot. I don't know if it has
    >anything to do with the way the optical or wireless sends info to the
    >machine, but my plain rollyball mouse worked a lot smoother.

    If your mouse will function without specialty drivers, and you don't
    need the features, try going generic. I run my Mouseman Dual Optical
    as a generic "HID-Compliant Mouse" for similar reasons.

    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:10:28 -0600, Sentientfluid
    <sentientfluid@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Hey all,
    >
    >I've been having troubles with the cursor lagging behind when I move the
    >mouse. In order to grab something from my inventory, I almost have to
    >sneak up on it otherwise I spend forever trying to get the cursor to
    >stop in the right spot.
    >
    >I'm running MW with the Bloodmoon and Tribunal patches on XP. Mouse is
    >a MS Wireless Optical with the latest drivers.
    >
    >Any ideas or similar problems?

    I had the same problem when I first got the game. I
    also use an optical mouse.
    When I put a newer faster graphics card in, the
    mouse lagging stopped. So I guess the mouse wasn't at
    fault.
    Near as I can figure, Morrowind must bypass the
    operating system and poll the mouse directly. It looks as
    if Morrowind only polls the mouse once per frame. So when
    my frame rate gets too low, mousing gets kinda dodgy.

    Sentientfluid wrote:

    > Hey all,
    >
    > I've been having troubles with the cursor lagging behind when I move the
    > mouse. In order to grab something from my inventory, I almost have to
    > sneak up on it otherwise I spend forever trying to get the cursor to
    > stop in the right spot.
    >
    > I'm running MW with the Bloodmoon and Tribunal patches on XP. Mouse is
    > a MS Wireless Optical with the latest drivers.
    >
    > Any ideas or similar problems?

    I had something like this a few days ago. I changed my video settings to
    on my card to DEFAULT and the lag cleared up. Try tuning your video
    settings down.

    CH

    Did you try the FPS Optimiser in advanced mode and use the option to
    spped up your mosue? goes from 2x to 10x

    "nospam" <PeterC@nym.alias.net.almost> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:10:28 -0600, Sentientfluid
    > <sentientfluid@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > Near as I can figure, Morrowind must bypass the
    > operating system and poll the mouse directly. It looks as
    > if Morrowind only polls the mouse once per frame. So when
    > my frame rate gets too low, mousing gets kinda dodgy.

    Well that SHOULD NOT happen with any newer (2nd gen, geforce2pro and radeon
    +) gfx card since these cards support hardware mouse, that's independant
    from framerate. So I would strongly suggest checking your grafikkort drivers
    and settings in cpl.

Cursor Mice Video Games