Active Directory Migration Tool v.2.0

I currently have a Windows 2000 server(non-Active Directory) in which I would
like to migrate the users/groups to another Windows 2000 server that is
running Active Directory. Will this tool enable me to do this? and does the
source computer have to be in a Domain? Thank you in advance for all
Chuck Durley
Network Analyst

As the name implies, the Active Directory Migration Tool migrates from one
AD implementation to another. This will not move from member server with
local objects to an AD. You could migrate with either ADSI or export files,
but these will migrate the accounts only -- there will be no SIDHistory and
PW migration to maintain logons and access to resources.

I would:
1. Implement AD
2. Assign permissions to local server resources
3. Join the workstations to the domain
4. Do a controlled migration of users to the domain accounts making sure to
copy their local profiles over or changing the ProfileList keys to point the
New SID at the old path.

--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA

"Chuck Durley" <ChuckDurley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I currently have a Windows 2000 server(non-Active Directory) in which I
>would
> like to migrate the users/groups to another Windows 2000 server that is
> running Active Directory. Will this tool enable me to do this? and does
> the
> source computer have to be in a Domain? Thank you in advance for all
> Chuck Durley
> Network Analyst

In news:8BB3E8A3-4852-4904-B7FF-BFD75C478A3F@microsoft.com,
Chuck Durley <ChuckDurley@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> I currently have a Windows 2000 server(non-Active
> Directory) in which I would like to migrate the
> users/groups to another Windows 2000 server that is
> running Active Directory. Will this tool enable me to do
> this? and does the source computer have to be in a
> Domain? Thank you in advance for all responses.

ADMT will not migrate local accounts to Active Directory.
You can DCPROMO the non AD server to a DC, which converts the local accounts
to domain accounts, then you set up trust between the two domains and use
ADMT to migrate the accounts.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]