Active Directory Migration Tool v.2.0

I currently have a Windows 2000 server(non-Active Directory) in which I would
like to migrate the users/groups to another Windows 2000 server that is
running Active Directory. Will this tool enable me to do this? and does the
source computer have to be in a Domain? Thank you in advance for all
Chuck Durley
Network Analyst
3 answers Last reply
More about active directory migration tool

    As the name implies, the Active Directory Migration Tool migrates from one
    AD implementation to another. This will not move from member server with
    local objects to an AD. You could migrate with either ADSI or export files,
    but these will migrate the accounts only -- there will be no SIDHistory and
    PW migration to maintain logons and access to resources.

    I would:
    1. Implement AD
    2. Assign permissions to local server resources
    3. Join the workstations to the domain
    4. Do a controlled migration of users to the domain accounts making sure to
    copy their local profiles over or changing the ProfileList keys to point the
    New SID at the old path.

    --
    Ryan Hanisco
    MCSE, MCDBA

    "Chuck Durley" <ChuckDurley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I currently have a Windows 2000 server(non-Active Directory) in which I
    >would
    > like to migrate the users/groups to another Windows 2000 server that is
    > running Active Directory. Will this tool enable me to do this? and does
    > the
    > source computer have to be in a Domain? Thank you in advance for all
    > Chuck Durley
    > Network Analyst

    In news:8BB3E8A3-4852-4904-B7FF-BFD75C478A3F@microsoft.com,
    Chuck Durley <ChuckDurley@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > I currently have a Windows 2000 server(non-Active
    > Directory) in which I would like to migrate the
    > users/groups to another Windows 2000 server that is
    > running Active Directory. Will this tool enable me to do
    > this? and does the source computer have to be in a
    > Domain? Thank you in advance for all responses.

    ADMT will not migrate local accounts to Active Directory.
    You can DCPROMO the non AD server to a DC, which converts the local accounts
    to domain accounts, then you set up trust between the two domains and use
    ADMT to migrate the accounts.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    See, now there is an interesting idea.

    --
    Ryan Hanisco
    MCSE, MCDBA
    FlagShip Integration Services
    Chicago, IL

    "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> wrote in message
    > In news:8BB3E8A3-4852-4904-B7FF-BFD75C478A3F@microsoft.com,
    > Chuck Durley <ChuckDurley@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
    > Then Kevin replied below:
    >> I currently have a Windows 2000 server(non-Active
    >> Directory) in which I would like to migrate the
    >> users/groups to another Windows 2000 server that is
    >> running Active Directory. Will this tool enable me to do
    >> this? and does the source computer have to be in a
    >> Domain? Thank you in advance for all responses.
    >
    > ADMT will not migrate local accounts to Active Directory.
    > You can DCPROMO the non AD server to a DC, which converts the local
    > accounts
    > to domain accounts, then you set up trust between the two domains and use
    > ADMT to migrate the accounts.
    >
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > It will strip signature out and more
    > with OEBackup:

Windows 2000 Active Directory Servers Windows