Domain Controllers....

Somedude

Hello,

We are moving our company to a new domain. We're currently on SBS, and now
moving to full Win2k. We will be using an old machine for the inital domain
controller as the other servers are currently in use. I want to install
Win2k/AD on the old machine, copy data/create users, then
decomission/recommision the other boxes. At that point, I'd like to REMOVE
the original domain controller I created since I'll have 2 others by that
point; will it be a problem to remove the original domain controller?

Thanks!

In news:F_KdnQpjU_Iry6vfRVn-pA@wideopenwest.com,
Somedude <cbell5724@[nospam]wideopenwest.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hello,
>
> We are moving our company to a new domain. We're
> currently on SBS, and now moving to full Win2k. We will
> be using an old machine for the inital domain controller
> as the other servers are currently in use. I want to
> install Win2k/AD on the old machine, copy data/create
> users, then decomission/recommision the other boxes. At
> that point, I'd like to REMOVE the original domain
> controller I created since I'll have 2 others by that
> point; will it be a problem to remove the original domain
> controller?
>
> Thanks!

SBS 2000?
SBS must be at the root of the forest, and hold all FSMO roles, and does not
support trusts. You can add a new Win2k as a replica, disconnect the SBS,
seize the FSMO roles, do a metadata cleanup to remove the SBS DC from AD and
build from there. You will not be able to bring the SBS back into the domain
and it cannot be DCPROMOed out of the domain. You can have as many replicas
as you need as long as SBS holds all five FSMO roles.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]