NEED FAST MAJOR HELP

sugi123

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Just recieved my open box, AGP Sapphire X800gto. Now, when it boots, its all good, but when windows starts loading, there are numerous artifacts. Then I thought I had to RMA it. Then, I started a Linux install, and it ran fine. Maybe becasue I was upgrading from a Radeon 9550 to X800, the drivers might have conflicted with each other. Cooling is fine, because I installed an AT5. Do you have any suggestions. The card seems to work. Im reinstalling XP right now.

sailer

Splendid
Just recieved my open box, AGP Sapphire X800gto. Now, when it boots, its all good, but when windows starts loading, there are numerous artifacts. Then I thought I had to RMA it. Then, I started a Linux install, and it ran fine. Maybe becasue I was upgrading from a Radeon 9550 to X800, the drivers might have conflicted with each other. Cooling is fine, because I installed an AT5. Do you have any suggestions. The card seems to work. Im reinstalling XP right now.

Maybe a driver conflict? For sure. From what you wrote, it seems that you didn't uninstall the drivers from the 9550 before you installed the X800. You have to unistall the old card's drivers first, shut down the computer, put in the new card and then install its drivers. Otherwise, when you go to start the computer, the computer won't know which drivers to use, or it will default to the old card's drivers and won't run the new card properly. Its a wonder that the computer booted at all.

The reason that it worked ok when you did the Linux istall was probably because you had to install the new card's drivers from the start, so there was no conflict in the programing. If nothing else, that at least confirms that the new card is good.

You probably didn't need to reinstall XP. It may have been working just fine, but was confused because of what you didn't do.

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
IMO this would've been a better choice:
http://shop.ati.com/product.asp?sku=2699206

Maybe a bit more expensive but you would have had a hell of a lot more "potential" for your money. If you can get a refund i would advise to ditch the GTO and get that X850 Pro.

As for the artifacting i would try and see what speeds your card is running at using commonly available appz such as:

AtiTool

You should be @ 400/495 (990Mhz) core/Memory @ stock speed.

This is to eliminate the possibility that you may have a wrongly flashed Bios as Sugi123 mentionned.

Also make sure that your fan is working properly and that your card isn't overheating for some reason.

sugi123

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I tried relashing the BIOS with ATIFLASH, and it was a bad flash. Now, i inserted my pci card, and tried relashing it, but it says ERROR 0FL01, and the ROM not erased.

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
You did all that in DOS right? Also sometimes you have to "force" the flash for it to work...but As i said earlier did you first check if in fact it was flashed or not before attempting to reflash it? And seriously,if you just got the card I'd RMA it or try to get a refund for it...Fudging with a piece of hardware that's not working properly from the get-go is time wasted IMO, unless it was a "final" sale with no options to return it or getting a refund.

sugi123

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
ok, I was able to flash back to the original bios. Now, the problem is that XP has numerous artifacts, and even if I try to install the ATI drivers, it says it cannot find an ATI device installed.

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Have you tried with AtiTool? I posted the link earlier.. Also as I asked, are you stuck with that card or you can send it back for a refund/exchange?
Also you could visually check if the fan on the card is still working.

sugi123

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
the strange thing is that if I load linux (Fedora core 5), it identifies my video card and monitor, and the setup is w/o any artifacts, and is very crisp.

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
I'm not very familiar with Linux setups, but i wonder if Linux activates any HW accelaration on 3D cards...Also if it's recognized by Linux, can you tell if it's the correct model number/type of card that it's recognizing?

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Have you tried unistalling it from the device manager in WInxp to see if it will be recognized automatically after rebooting? Because sometimes what will happen is that Winxp will try to install drivers for a device based on certain specs but in fact it will install the wrong drivers...
So my suggestion is to get this app:

Driver Cleaner Pro

Install this in WInxp, then unistall whatever Display adapter that shows up in your Device manager window, then reboot in safe mode, run Driver Cleaner to clean up everything thats related to ATI, then reboot in Normal Mode and try to install the latest Drivers from Sapphire's web site..if all fails and you still get artifacts after that I wouldn't lose anymore time trying to fix this card. Even if you still get it to run under Linux, I'm not sure that it's stressing your card enough for it to show artifacts...

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
You need to install your motherboard drivers first. If you are using a VIA chipset then you need the latest Hyperion drivers. A support CD should have been included with your motherboard.

Install the above drivers and then follow up with the ATI drivers.

Good luck.

sugi123

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
I successfully installed Fedora core 2, and its working fine. Only in XP does it artifact like that.(but I need XP to play Oblivion).

MCMONOPOLY

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Well not to be harsh but have you tried anything of what we suggested in the posts ?! Because as I pointed out it's not a solution to start and re-installing OSes time after time if the problem lies in the hardware...As I said earlier, i'm not sure that any installation of a Linux OS will stress the hardware enuff to make it croak like XP does...Also if the problem lies within the drivers, it's not the Linux drivers that are at fault since you succesfully installed and ran 2 seperate versions of Fedora Core...so unless you're willing to take steps to eliminate logically the culprit of your problem , you should not bother posting results that don't apply to resolving your problem...And if it's possible can you post a picture of the artifacting that occurs within WinXP?

sugi123

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
ok, ill get the pics ASAP. But, i can tell you that there are vertical bars from the top of the monitor to the bottom, and then the only way to read text is to move it around. And if I go into the properties, it says Default monitor, and adapter not avaliable.

sugi123

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2006
Thank you 10000000 times. Ok, I got the artifacts to go away by installing the driver, but when I try to load trixxx, it says it cant activate 3D acceleration, so my problem is 1/2 solved.