.msi in Windows XP

Hello,
I have created a package .msi and in my server Windows 2000 Server I use GPO
to distribute to my computers, the workstations that they have Windows 2000,
everything goes right (the installation of the program is right) but in the
workstation that they have Windows XP, the program does not intaller (there
is no message's error), what's going on? what can I do?

Thanks in advance

"Formato fecha" <Formatofecha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I have created a package .msi and in my server Windows 2000 Server I use
GPO
> to distribute to my computers, the workstations that they have Windows
2000,
> everything goes right (the installation of the program is right) but in
the
> workstation that they have Windows XP, the program does not intaller
(there
> is no message's error), what's going on? what can I do?

You will have to isolate the problem a
bit better, for instance:

Does the GPO get applied at all or is
just the MSI failing to install?
(Put something obvious in the same
GPO for testing.)

Can you put a "notice" on it to see it
if it tries (and presumably) fails?

What we want to do is figure out if the
GPO is failing completely (likely an
authentication/DNS problem, a network
problem, a linking problem, or a
permission issue) OR is this an issue
after the GPO is linked, applied, and the
installation actually begins but then fails.

Hello,
The server is Windows2000 Server.
I have the same .msi (it installs a program of a dictionary) applied for all
workstations of my net, and only it installs in workstations with Windows2000.
I have tried to put something very simple in GPO, and in the XP it happens
nothing, however in the Windows2000 works properly.
Do I need a SP for Windows2000 Server or ...?

> Hello,
> The server is Windows2000 Server.
> I have the same .msi (it installs a program of a dictionary) applied for
all
> workstations of my net, and only it installs in workstations with
Windows2000.
> I have tried to put something very simple in GPO, and in the XP it happens
> nothing, however in the Windows2000 works properly.

So the entire GPO is not applied?

(You can double check by using "GPResult" from the
command line.)

> Do I need a SP for Windows2000 Server or ...?

You said that Win2000 is working properly.

Chances are the WinXP machine is NOT authenticated,
or not in the correct OU, or something else that prevents
the GPO from being applied.

Is the XP machine IN THE DOMAIN?

Is it authenticated?

Is the user logging on with "Domain" account?

The situation is:
- The computer server is as well the domain controller, and it has
Windows2000 Server SP4.
- In my net, there are computers with Windows2000 and others with WindowsXP,
all of them are authenticated with the same server, in the same domain. And
all of the users are authenticated with a accout of the domain. This
situation works properly. I don't have problems.
- The only thing that doesn't work is a .msi package that I have created in
a computer with Windows2000. I try to install it using Active Directory, but
only it works (it installs the msi) with computers with Windows2000, but not
with WindowsXP.
- I am thinking that I go to try to do de .msi package in a computer with
WindowsXP, just to try it. I will tell you the result.

Thank you

> The situation is:
> - The computer server is as well the domain controller, and it has
> Windows2000 Server SP4.
> - In my net, there are computers with Windows2000 and others with
WindowsXP,
> all of them are authenticated with the same server, in the same domain.
And
> all of the users are authenticated with a accout of the domain. This
> situation works properly. I don't have problems.

You have this GPO problem. How do you know they
are authenticated (real question)?

> - The only thing that doesn't work is a .msi package that I have created
in
> a computer with Windows2000. I try to install it using Active Directory,
but
> only it works (it installs the msi) with computers with Windows2000, but
not
> with WindowsXP.

What are the share and file permissions on the MSI
location?

Is this a User or Computer MSI?

If a user, can the user access that location AFTER logging
on -- that is, manually map the drive and access the file?

Have you proven that the GPO gets applied to the XP
machines? (Some obvious additional setting or using
GPResult?)

The odds are high that the GPO (as a whole) is never
being applied OR that the files are not accessible.

> - I am thinking that I go to try to do de .msi package in a computer with
> WindowsXP, just to try it. I will tell you the result.

Probably not related -- were that the problem there would
be issues for many vendors who use MSI.