How about setup DC using Virtual Server, same box SMS

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.sms.admin (More info?)

It would be desirable deploying domain controllers on several sites I have
150 computer accounts or so.
I also need SMS servers on those sites.

How about if I install a server there (with 3GB or so of RAM) and build a
virtual server (using MS Virtual Server 2005) for DC and SMS, on same box ?
SMS should require very little I/O operations, it usually doesn't consume
many hardware resources in such branch offices.

What do you think ?

Win2003 AD, DNS integrated, SMS 2003

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.sms.admin (More info?)

It may work. SMS 2003 client on vertual PC is supported, but not on a
vertual server. SMS 2003 site server on a vertual server is not supported.

Thanks,

Michael [MSFT]

"Marlon Brown" <marlon_brown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It would be desirable deploying domain controllers on several sites I have
> 150 computer accounts or so.
> I also need SMS servers on those sites.
>
> How about if I install a server there (with 3GB or so of RAM) and build a
> virtual server (using MS Virtual Server 2005) for DC and SMS, on same box
> ?
> SMS should require very little I/O operations, it usually doesn't consume
> many hardware resources in such branch offices.
>
> What do you think ?
>

> Win2003 AD, DNS integrated, SMS 2003

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.sms.admin (More info?)

Darn. The problem is that would be a SMS 2003 secondary site server. If that
is not supported, I would be reluctant to deploy it. This is what makes me
sad. We have the technology out there but it seems (MS?) is behind on
testing and certification for such virtual scenario, I suppose.

Marlon Brown wrote:
> It would be desirable deploying domain controllers on several sites I have
> 150 computer accounts or so.
> I also need SMS servers on those sites.
>
> How about if I install a server there (with 3GB or so of RAM) and build a
> virtual server (using MS Virtual Server 2005) for DC and SMS, on same box ?
> SMS should require very little I/O operations, it usually doesn't consume
> many hardware resources in such branch offices.
>
> What do you think ?

It should be no problem to run DC box in VS. Read through this document:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=64DB845D-F7A3-4209-8ED2-E261A117FC6B&displaylang=en

--
Tomasz Onyszko [MVP]
T.Onyszko@w2k.pl

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.sms.admin (More info?)

Michael,

The What's new in sms2003 sp1 seems to contradict this, or am I reading
this wrong?:

Platform Support
Virtual PC 2004 and Virtual Server 2005 Support
Managing Host Operating Systems
SMS 2003 SP1 supports the Advanced Client running on the host operating
system. SMS offers unrestricted support for computers acting as a host
operating system. Computers running Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 or
Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 can fill any SMS client or server role.

Virtual PC requires Windows 2000 Professional or Window XP. Therefore,
the host operating system supports the Advanced Client. The host
operating system can support the SMS 2003 Administrator console.

Virtual Server requires a Windows Server 2003 operating system.
Therefore, Virtual Server can host operating systems that support the
Advanced Client. The host operating system can also support:

An SMS site server
The SMS site database, stored in Microsoft SQL ServerTM
A management point
A client access point (CAP)
Distribution points, with or without Background Intelligent Transfer
Service (BITS)
A reporting point
No interaction occurs between the Virtual PC host operating system and
other applications running on the same computer. Similarly, no
interaction occurs between the Virtual Server host operating system and
other applications running on the same computer.

In article <ucg0y4YKFHA.3420@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, jzhuo@microsoft.com
says...
> It may work. SMS 2003 client on vertual PC is supported, but not on a
> vertual server. SMS 2003 site server on a vertual server is not supported.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael [MSFT]

> "Marlon Brown" <marlon_brown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > It would be desirable deploying domain controllers on several sites I have
> > 150 computer accounts or so.
> > I also need SMS servers on those sites.
> >
> > How about if I install a server there (with 3GB or so of RAM) and build a
> > virtual server (using MS Virtual Server 2005) for DC and SMS, on same box
> > ?
> > SMS should require very little I/O operations, it usually doesn't consume
> > many hardware resources in such branch offices.
> >
> > What do you think ?
> >

> > Win2003 AD, DNS integrated, SMS 2003

--
Kim Oppalfens
Proud father of Lennart Oppalfens

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.sms.admin (More info?)

Kim,

Let me double check it and will return you tomorrow.

Thanks,

Michael [MSFT]

"Kim Oppalfens" <kim@computacenter.nospam> wrote in message

> Michael,
>
> The What's new in sms2003 sp1 seems to contradict this, or am I reading
> this wrong?:
>
> Platform Support
> Virtual PC 2004 and Virtual Server 2005 Support
> Managing Host Operating Systems
> SMS 2003 SP1 supports the Advanced Client running on the host operating
> system. SMS offers unrestricted support for computers acting as a host
> operating system. Computers running Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 or
> Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 can fill any SMS client or server role.
>
> Virtual PC requires Windows 2000 Professional or Window XP. Therefore,
> the host operating system supports the Advanced Client. The host
> operating system can support the SMS 2003 Administrator console.
>
> Virtual Server requires a Windows Server 2003 operating system.
> Therefore, Virtual Server can host operating systems that support the
> Advanced Client. The host operating system can also support:
>
> An SMS site server
> The SMS site database, stored in Microsoft SQL ServerTM
> A management point
> A client access point (CAP)
> Distribution points, with or without Background Intelligent Transfer
> Service (BITS)
> A reporting point
> No interaction occurs between the Virtual PC host operating system and
> other applications running on the same computer. Similarly, no
> interaction occurs between the Virtual Server host operating system and
> other applications running on the same computer.
>
> In article <ucg0y4YKFHA.3420@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, jzhuo@microsoft.com
> says...
>> It may work. SMS 2003 client on vertual PC is supported, but not on a
>> vertual server. SMS 2003 site server on a vertual server is not
>> supported.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Michael [MSFT]

>> rights.
>>

>> "Marlon Brown" <marlon_brown@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > It would be desirable deploying domain controllers on several sites I
>> > have
>> > 150 computer accounts or so.
>> > I also need SMS servers on those sites.
>> >
>> > How about if I install a server there (with 3GB or so of RAM) and build
>> > virtual server (using MS Virtual Server 2005) for DC and SMS, on same
>> > box
>> > ?
>> > SMS should require very little I/O operations, it usually doesn't
>> > consume
>> > many hardware resources in such branch offices.
>> >
>> > What do you think ?
>> >

>> > Win2003 AD, DNS integrated, SMS 2003
>> >

> --
> Kim Oppalfens
> Proud father of Lennart Oppalfens
> Since 05/11/2004 08.53 GMT+1

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.sms.admin (More info?)

Kim,

The information published on the website is correct. Thanks for pointing
out this.

I corrected my comments as following:

Installing a SMS 2003 SP1 site server or a site system on a guest operating
system, say Window 2003 server, may work, but is not supported. SMS 2003
advanced client on guest operating that runs on a virtual PC or a virtual
server is supported.

Thanks,

Michael [MSFT]

> Kim,
>
> Let me double check it and will return you tomorrow.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael [MSFT]

> rights.
>

> "Kim Oppalfens" <kim@computacenter.nospam> wrote in message
>>

>> Michael,
>>
>> The What's new in sms2003 sp1 seems to contradict this, or am I reading
>> this wrong?:
>>
>> Platform Support
>> Virtual PC 2004 and Virtual Server 2005 Support
>> Managing Host Operating Systems
>> SMS 2003 SP1 supports the Advanced Client running on the host operating
>> system. SMS offers unrestricted support for computers acting as a host
>> operating system. Computers running Microsoft Virtual PC 2004 or
>> Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 can fill any SMS client or server role.
>>
>> Virtual PC requires Windows 2000 Professional or Window XP. Therefore,
>> the host operating system supports the Advanced Client. The host
>> operating system can support the SMS 2003 Administrator console.
>>
>> Virtual Server requires a Windows Server 2003 operating system.
>> Therefore, Virtual Server can host operating systems that support the
>> Advanced Client. The host operating system can also support:
>>
>> An SMS site server
>> The SMS site database, stored in Microsoft SQL ServerTM
>> A management point
>> A client access point (CAP)
>> Distribution points, with or without Background Intelligent Transfer
>> Service (BITS)
>> A reporting point
>> No interaction occurs between the Virtual PC host operating system and
>> other applications running on the same computer. Similarly, no
>> interaction occurs between the Virtual Server host operating system and
>> other applications running on the same computer.
>>
>> In article <ucg0y4YKFHA.3420@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, jzhuo@microsoft.com
>> says...
>>> It may work. SMS 2003 client on vertual PC is supported, but not on a
>>> vertual server. SMS 2003 site server on a vertual server is not
>>> supported.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Michael [MSFT]

>>> rights.