Antec SmartPower 2.0 SP-500 vs. Thermaltake TR2 500W PSU

ryder_22

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Both are virtually the same cost but which is better factoring in all aspects of a PSU? I would think there would be no noticeable difference between the two. That's what common sense tells me, but perhaps that sense is wrong.

RichPLS

Champion
The Antec TruePower 550 watt is $89 at NewEgg...
and is better quality than either of those, and I recomend Antec's TruePower series as a quality PSU at low to moderate pricing... usually any other significantly priced lower than the TruePower series is much inferior... imo.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Both are virtually the same cost but which is better factoring in all aspects of a PSU? I would think there would be no noticeable difference between the two. That's what common sense tells me, but perhaps that sense is wrong.

im with rich 50/50. he is right about the PSU being a very good deal. but the smart power is 20 dollars cheaper and its modular.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
but if you look at the electical specs, the SmartPower is more than $20 inferior in components and output compared with the TruePower...

yes....but modular.....believe me once u go modular you dont come back. its soo easy!!

RichPLS

Champion
I have no probs with modular, tho I do have a prob with choosing a mod for convenience while sacrificing quality... imo, the TruePower series is simply better made with higher quality components... and the specs show this...

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I have no probs with modular, tho I do have a prob with choosing a mod for convenience while sacrificing quality... imo, the TruePower series is simply better made with higher quality components... and the specs show this...

ok, fine, i guess i agree, BUT hes running a single 7900GT. btw we are arguing with our selves, ryder had a diff thread where he asks about 600w seasonics and quad railed thermaltakes. i dont think he needs this thread anymore.

ryder_22

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Yes But I am listening. Isn't posting on this forum for the sake of bettering the community as a whole, to continually increase information or knowledge thats at the disposal of the reader?
I planned to go 7900GT sli before but after reading about DX10 on the forumz, I decided to go single 7900GT and then a similarly priced DX10 card next yr sometime. hence, I no longer need 600watt, but still the advice is better having around then not.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
When you speak of modular PSU, I have no idea what that means. Would you be able to elaborate?

17-103-940-06.jpg

you get to choose which cables you wanna use, which means there are less cables and less mess inside the case

RichPLS

Champion
yet adding additional connections increase resistance and energy is wasted being converted to unnecessary heat... yet quality connectors can reduce this effect, not eliminate it... add to this additional cost, manufacturers tend to skimp on component quality to keep cost in line with quality units and intend to increase profits, and not clean power which is what should be concentrated upon...

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
yet adding additional connections increase resistance and energy is wasted being converted to unnecessary heat... yet quality connectors can reduce this effect, not eliminate it... add to this additional cost, manufacturers tend to skimp on component quality to keep cost in line with quality units and intend to increase profits, and not clean power which is what should be concentrated upon...

blah blah, mr technical.