Does cost necessarily mean better?

ryder_22

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
In comparison between Thermaltake Toughpower 600W PS and Seasonic 600W S12, the Seasonic is $20 more CAN. Does that necessarily mean the Seasonic is a better performer or would there be a minimal noticeable difference between the two? I'm just trying to sort out some final details before placing my order; surely someone in this knowledgable community will have the answer.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
In general yes but in this case I would suggest going for the toughpower, it's got 4 12v rails at 18 amps each vs. 2 12v rails at 18 amps each.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006

Corasik

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
It may have 4 18amp rails, but it can only deliver 48amps total. Sure thats higher than the Seasonic's 36amps@12V, but the seasonic PSU's are very well built, and rated for continuous load. Many brands of PSU rate their supply's at burst load.

Run a 48amp 12v load on the Thermaltake for 24 hours and see how well it handles it.

Thermaltake have in the past totally overestimated their PSU's ratings, labeling up a 250W PSU, as a 400W supply. End result was a PSU that switched off after 4 minutes with a 300W load!

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I don't personally have any experience with thermaltake but the idea still stands and you can find comparable psu's from ocz, silverstone and antec for similar costs. I just don't like the run out of amps on the 12v like I did with my old psu.

People just look at watts most of the time and can end up making a big mistake, especially with SLI and overclocking.

Corasik

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Its true that the totally wattage is almost useless on its own without looking at the combined wattage on mulitiple rails, and the amperage. But just looking at amps alone is also misleading.

4x18ams on the termaltake, but 48amp total. Its the same story on many brands of PSU.

The 600W seasonic actually looks to be the least interesting from that brand, as it is a little low on its 12V supply, but its probably enough to run anything less than an ATI Crossfire setup. Those crossfires can use 130watts each, pretty insane, thats 260W (21amps) for the pair!.

An 7900GTX on the other hand is more conservative at around 85w per card. Thats 'only' around 14amps load.

The system spec obviously affects the choice of powersupply.

To honestly answer your question price means nothing.

It's hardware reviews that counts. That's not to be confused with user reviews because hardware sites have the equipment to consistantly test PSU. In some case forces the PSU to provide 10% - 15% more than it's rated power to see if the PSU can take the stress, and they can check to see if the PSU is still stable at those power levels.

Unfortunately PSUs are not reviewed as much as CPUs or GPUs so they can be difficult to find. But they are out there.

ryder_22

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I live up in Canada, and for whatever reason Newegg doesn't ship to Canada. eBay shipping fees are around $40 for PSU, thats insane! i would order the FSP but cost doesn't justify, and my store supplier doesn't carry them.

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
I live up in Canada, and for whatever reason Newegg doesn't ship to Canada. eBay shipping fees are around $40 for PSU, thats insane! i would order the FSP but cost doesn't justify, and my store supplier doesn't carry them.

NCIX

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
YES, either NCIX or canadacomputers.com or memoryexpress or bigfootcomputers or tigerdirect.ca or frozencpu or xoxide (last two are american that ship to canada).

DO SOME DAMN GOOGLE SEARCHES

next thing you know he'll ask someone to scratch his ass for him.