Enable install rights to user for local machine via GPO?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
March 15, 2005 1:50:55 PM

What is the easiest way for users that log in to a win2k domain to be able
to install programs on their local PC's? Right now I am going to the
local group policy and add the domain user to the local Administrators group
to accomplish this.

Is there any way to accomplish this with a Group Policy from the DC?
Thanks,

Scotty
Anonymous
March 15, 2005 9:52:05 PM

Preacher Man wrote:
> What is the easiest way for users that log in to a win2k domain to be able
> to install programs on their local PC's? Right now I am going to the
> local group policy and add the domain user to the local Administrators group
> to accomplish this.
>
> Is there any way to accomplish this with a Group Policy from the DC?
> Thanks,

There is no setting like "Install software right" - Power Users rigths
should be sufficient to install most of the software, in some cases
Administrator priviledges are needed.

To add users to proper group using GPO You can use restricted Groups
feature:
http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles/Using-Restricted...
http://www.computerperformance.co.uk/w2k3/gp/group_poli...

Tomasz Onyszko [MVP]
T.Onyszko@w2k.pl
http://www.w2k.pl
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 10:09:01 AM

Make the domain account a local admin or power user through contol panel
users on the local machine. This is only possible if the computer is joined
to the domain and the account is already created in the directory.

!