AM2 with DDR2 800?

smallz

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
i plan on purchasing an am2 processor and mobo after i see what becomes of the price after conroe. I have found some corsair DDR2 800 ram and i had heard that AM2 will use it. so if i got this ram with the processor will it work?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Yes it should, albeit only slower and more costlier than if you had better sources of information and obtained a Conroe system...

I really hope Intel is paying you, you're getting ridiculous. Let the guy buy what he wants. If eh wanted a Core 2 sales pitch he would have posted that.

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Just take care that the CPU's operating frequency is divisible by 400 MHz. If you don't (say you get a 2.2GHz) then it will underclock your ram.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
i plan on purchasing an am2 processor and mobo after i see what becomes of the price after conroe. I have found some corsair DDR2 800 ram and i had heard that AM2 will use it. so if i got this ram with the processor will it work?
Yes, but for perfomance sake, lets hope it's low latency. Picking the right RAM for AM2 is as important, if not more so, than picking the right motherboard. If you get DDR2 800 @ 4-4-4-12, or tighter(if you're lucky), then you will be glad you picked AM2 over s939. GL :)

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Last I checked, this is an open forum, and I simply posted facts, not speculation... tho some I see interpret this as torturous... :roll:
RichPLS = 1
BaronMatrix = -18612318613554864321841031864615698

Amybe you've been takign too much of your nickname. I am a published Development author. I will be posting my next article soon.

That means there is no contest. The point was that the guy didn't ask him if Core 2 was faster he asked if DDR2 800 will work with AM2. he has obviously decided.

A better way would have been to simply say,

"Yes, and the Core 2 which is a lot faster does also." Or "Yes, it does, but make sure you get CAS4."

Either of those sounds better than, basically,

"What are you an idiot. Look for Core 2 info."

so the problem wasn't you promoting Intel, that's fine the problem is people will buy what they want and you insulting them only shows your need to live off of Intel's fame.

Plus, I don't remember this kind of vitriol when people were comparing X2 and PD.

Jsut because X2 was faster didn't mean that people couldn't deicde on P4.

Let them make their own decisions.

RichPLS

Champion
If you re-read what I posted, you will see it is a far cry from your misinterpretation of ... "What are you an idiot. Look for Core 2 info."

as a published development author, one would think your abilities of comprehension would be a bit more... developed, eh?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Yes it should, albeit only slower and more costlier than if you had better sources of information and obtained a Conroe system...

That sounds like a putdown to me. You made the assupmtion that he didn't look at Core 2 and is wasting his money.

If someone wanted a PresHott I would tell them the benfits and disadvantages of it and let them decide if they want it. I woud try not to compare to core 2 or X2 since the individual can bu what they want.

RichPLS

Champion
Well if he did examine the alternatives, and still chooses AMD (he indicates purchase in a month or so), then either he does not understand or believe them, or heck,,, maybe he is an idiot after all as you claim... :roll:

MrsD

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
If you re-read what I posted, you will see it is a far cry from your misinterpretation of ... "What are you an idiot. Look for Core 2 info."

as a published development author, one would think your abilities of comprehension would be a bit more... developed, eh?

I believe it was a correct interpretation. What I got from it was this:

RichPLS = intel sales pitch dork

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Well if he did examine the alternatives, and still chooses AMD (he indicates purchase in a month or so), then either he does not understand or believe them, or heck,,, maybe he is an idiot after all as you claim... :roll:

So the PresHott buyers were much smarter? they didn't choose what was mowing Intel down.

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
Just take care that the CPU's operating frequency is divisible by 400 MHz. If you don't (say you get a 2.2GHz) then it will underclock your ram.

Is that true? So, the 2.2GHz cpu I'm planning to get will not make full use of DDR2 800?

sailer

Splendid

So, according to you, if a person wants an AMD chip he's either stupid or an idiot. Whatever happened to the freedom of buying a product you like just because you like it? A smart person, with well thought out ideas, might choose a chip for reasons of his own that don't make sense to you, but make perfect sense to him. Furthermore, it doesn't have to make sense to you. It only has to make sense to him.

RichPLS

Champion
:wink: Idiot was not my choice of wording if you re-read posts... certainly you understand I was sarcasticaly commenting to a specific poster...

I have an Opteron 175 anyways... :lol: :lol:

But I do feel those that are willing to pay more for less must know more than I do, or less... :roll:

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006

Is that true? So, the 2.2GHz cpu I'm planning to get will not make full use of DDR2 800?

Go look at the tom's benchmarks, the 2.2GHz version was running the DDR2 at 733MHz instead of its native 800. It has something to do with the memory divider. Now that doesn't mean that you couldn't overclock the chip by 200MHz and get it realigned, although I can't say for sure how well that will work. It might be worth a shot.

M3d

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I just built an AM2 system but was totally confused about what type of memory to buy. I kept reading people were having problems with OCZ and some with Corsair. I would keep looking at the website of the specific motherboard manufacturer you want to use and see if they support the memory you want to buy.
On a side note. I decided to pair the single core 3800+ and MSI K9N Platinum with a 1X 1024 of Patriot DDR2 800 (4-4-4-12) and have not had any problems what so ever. The system reads it properly. I'm no wiz at OCing but I even OCed it a little to 2.6 and the system runs smoothly with a 7900gt and 2x raptors in Raid 0.

sailer

Splendid
Ok, somewhere in the mix of things I lost track of who said idiot first. Sorry if I implicated the wrong person. I still leave it to individual choice as to which cpu to buy. I run multiple machines, one with an Intel chip, two with AMD. I buy as to what I think will do best for what I want it to do, and leave others to make that same choice. I don't pretend to guess their reasoning, nor do I expect others to guess at mine.

RichPLS

Champion
agreed, but remember this is a forum which participants are persuaded and welcomed to express their ideas and share knowledge and guidance... regardless of whether or not you like the facts which are presented.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
RichPLS is right....

Albeit in what may have been seen as a harsh statement.

Short Answer to your question is yes.

Long Answer #1 - Is make sure "as stated" if you go with an AM2, that the memory timings are tight. Cheap open timing memory in this case could be detrimental to your perfomance.

Long Answer #2 - If time permitting (ie... you do not have to purchase right away). You might want to look into the Conroe or "Core 2 Duo" which is the processors release name. The reason Rich hinted at it ;) was because of its current stock performance capabilities and its even better OC abilities. For near the same money (some will dissagree but have been proven wrong on many occasions) you could get the Conroe processor and the cheaper DDR2 memory. Given that the Conroe does not hurt as bad (benchmarks are on this site) given lower perfoming memory.

If you can wait till probably past July 27th then you may be doing yourself a favor. If not then I agree with the AM2 decision but make sure of the tight memory timings.

Hope this helps... Please do not beleive me.... Research it for yourself here on THG. There have been many articles written.

ches111

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
A little forumz history for you.

MrsD and the Barron tend to be very Pro AMD anything. Maybe to a fault as well.

RichPLS although "as stated above" was harsh, tends to be Performance oriented as if you search for his comments you will find positive referenences towards the AMD platform going back a little ways. He has been currently very active in the Intel Conroe forums and is very much pro Conroe. With good reason.

I am however just an Idiot as some on here have told me ;) An idiot with a sense of humor.

Again please do not beleive me.... Do an author search and do a little reading on each above (me included). This will help you in discerning who is meaning to be helpful and who is just possibly pushing an adgenda!

symbi0nt

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
I'm buying AM2 because;

a) The 3800x2 is a very good price. £90 for a cpu, ~100 for the board. Compared with what, 130-150 for the lowest conroe [markup will be quite big in the first few months] and probably around the same for a good board, the DFI NF590 is expected at 135. I admit however that this saving will probably go into RAM.

b) I like nforce 590. a lot. And for obvious reasons I always think nforce chipsets work better with AMD products. Even way back in 2001 the NF220/440's usage of hypertransport is hard evidence of AMD working with NVIDIA as a major partner.

c) The current EPP memory technology by OCZ and Corsair does not extend to 533-677MHz RAM, which is synchronous for Conroe, as anything past the fsb gets bottlnecked anyway. [1066/4 Quad pump = 533/2 DDR] Since I am not yet confident in my overclocking skills enough to tinker too much with a brand new £700-1k system [my Athlon 2800 is my training station], EPP is a great feature for me. And will be for many other users.

d) The AM2 will take greater advantage of future DDR2 technology due to its integrated controller. It will extend beyond the reaches of Conroe's bottleneck, when the time comes. Fast memory with tight timings, which are crucial to AM2 systems is becoming more and more available. OCZ are a great example.

e) AM2 offers a very clear, simple upgrade path. CPU, board, RAM. Simple. Take it in stages, when you have the money.

Now I know Conroe performs better. That is a fact. Perhaps, with the right components it will cost the same as well. I am by no means an idiot, but when I look at what AM2 has to offer me, while it may not be performance, it is what I want. Afterall, a good old 4400X2 or overclocked 3800X2 isn't exactly slow, they're still very good CPUs.

TRENDING THREADS