56k modems not working in new computer

lobsterboy

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
hello,
i built a new computer recently and i have been having problems with 56k modems in it. The first one I tried installed perfectly, but when i go to connect to the internet, it dials then would go to the annoying sounds for like 2 minutes then just disconnect.

Since i couldn't get that card to work, i tried another 56k modem that i have used in another computer before that worked great (for dial-up), and that also installed perfectly, but it did the same thing as the first, it would dial, then go to the noises, then after about 2-3 minutes it would actually connect. the speed was really slow though. it worked for about a day and a half, then just died. it would dial, but then just stop after dialing, and after about 3 minutes it would say "no answer".
I even called my ISP and they said it was not on their end, and it was my modem. The person from my ISP said my new computer was frying each modem i put in it.

to make sure it wasn't the phone line or ISP, i hooked my old computer (win95 machine) back up and tried to dial, and it worked fine.

i ordered another new modem and am expecting this week. if this one doesn't work either i am out of ideas.
i have the modem hooked up properly to the phone line and windows xp says the card is working properly. i have installed many 56k modems before but i have never seen this problem. i have spent hours playing around with the modem property settings and internet connection settings, and nothing works.

does anyone have any idea what is going on with 56k modems and my new computer? is this a problem that shows up once in awhile?

thanks for any help and i will reply once the new modem comes and let you know if it worked or not.

here is the list with the parts in my new computer:
AMD Athlon XP 1700+
MSI KT3V motherboard
ThermalTake TR2-M2 / TMD Fan (CPU fan)
Samsung 256mb DDR RAM (266mhz)
Abit Geforce 4 MX-SE w/TV-OUT
Maxtor 30GB 7200rpm
Artec 16x DVD drive
Samsung 1.44mb Floppy drive
Conexant 56k modem v.92
CodeGen 350w (watt) ATX Power Supply
Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Logitech Optical Mouse
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
1 Front, 1 Side, 1 Rear

even called my ISP and they said it was not on their end, and it was my modem. The person from my ISP said my new computer was frying each modem i put in it.
That's a hell of a good diagnosis over a phone. You notice the normal "It's not our fault" answer?

Are the modems being fried? Tried em in the working system?

Tried em in different PCI slots?

Tried working modem in 'duff' PC?

Sounds screwy.

<b><font color=blue>~ <A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=324&s=58e94ba84a16bedfebbf0f416d5bac48" target="_new">System Specs</A> ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

lobsterboy

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2003
I got it working. The 3rd modem i bought did the job. It was an Encore NetoDragon v.92 modem (Motorola chipset).
Thanks for the earlier response!

-Steve