NTFS problem? SID instead of name?

Hello All,

Win2kServer(Sp3). Since a few days I can not add domain users or group to
folder on file server. I can add only local users or group (i dont see
domain). Moreover I see only SID instad of full name of group and users..
User can use a file from server due to permissions.

Mabe you can touch this problem and would help me.

Thanks
Adam

"AdamG" <AdamG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> Win2kServer(Sp3). Since a few days I can not add domain users or group to
> folder on file server. I can add only local users or group (i dont see
> domain). Moreover I see only SID instad of full name of group and users..
> User can use a file from server due to permissions.

The machine has either left the domain or is
at a minimum unable to authenticate (and thus
cannot download the list of domain groups/users
NOR can it resolve SIDs back to names).

Check your domain membership (System Control
Panel), then check your DNS and other authentication
issues.

You may need to "reset" the computer account
(AD Users/Computers, DSMod, NLTest) or even
unjoin/rejoin the computer to the domain.

Removing the computer from the domain should be
the last options but if this has already been done, then
add it back.

"Rick Gouin" <rick@pragmaticutopia.com> wrote in message
> You can also try using "NetDom /reset" to reset the secure channel -
> probably a bit safer than unjoining/rejoining the domain if you have
> other things (like user profiles) that should be considered.

Yes. This is why unjoining is the LAST choice.

(Well, other than re-installing but that should almost
never be used <grin>)