Opinion on Diamond XtremeSound

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
I currently plan to get a Diamond XtremeSound 7.1 card with optical out and supports Dolby Digital Live. I'll use to for MP3s (mostly rap), CDs ripped to WMA Pro 5.1, movies, and games. I'll be using the optical out to hook it up to a 6.1 receiver (I don't have it yet) which supports Dolby Digital/ProLogic II and DTS.

Would this be a good card for what I plan to use it for?

halcyon

Splendid
I currently plan to get a Diamond XtremeSound 7.1 card with optical out and supports Dolby Digital Live. I'll use to for MP3s (mostly rap), CDs ripped to WMA Pro 5.1, movies, and games. I'll be using the optical out to hook it up to a 6.1 receiver (I don't have it yet) which supports Dolby Digital/ProLogic II and DTS.

Would this be a good card for what I plan to use it for?

I've heard of this Diamond card but am wondering why you've selected that one considering the competition from M-Audio, Creative, Turtle Beach, etc. I only ask that because the Diamond card is not kit you hear too much about.

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
Well... my price range is in the $50-$70, and that's the only one with optical output (unless I'm missing something).

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
Are those good cards? I've never actually had anything other than Creative's budget cards.

Will I be able to use my front headphone/line-in jacks with that card? One review says its not possible..

choirbass

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2005
...i cant speak from experience about this card specifically... but even after only a brief search, i wasnt able to find much acclaim for it, or much technical information (not anything on a particular chipset for it at all that i saw)... you certainly cant go wrong for the price... but it may honestly be better to invest in a slightly more expensive ddl card... where reviews and such are more abundant... just like with any computer part for example (ram, psu, motherboard, etc)... quality isnt a place where you want to skimp and cut yourself short... ...the card may perform excellently, but i cant say for sure, considering there doesnt seem to be alot of information going around about it.