Demoted 2000 DC still appears in registry

I phased out a 2000 DC. I now have two 2003 DCs. I did adprep, completed
the process on mangled attributes (we upgraded Exchange 2000 to 2003), moved
the FSMO roles and demoted the server. Today I noticed that the DCs don't
seem to be replicating. I found KB830746 and was checking both DCs when I
noticed that in HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\serveices\ntds\paramters, there
is a registry parameter 'src root domain srv' whose value is my old 2000 DC.

I'm not sure what to do at this point. Do I just need to update that
paranter? How do I clean up from the failed demotion? Might there be other
issues, i.e. corrupt AD; Exchange issues?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Bill

"Bill Mark" <Bill Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I phased out a 2000 DC. I now have two 2003 DCs. I did adprep, completed
> the process on mangled attributes (we upgraded Exchange 2000 to 2003),
moved
> the FSMO roles and demoted the server. Today I noticed that the DCs don't
> seem to be replicating. I found KB830746 and was checking both DCs when I
> noticed that in HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\serveices\ntds\paramters,
there
> is a registry parameter 'src root domain srv' whose value is my old 2000
DC.

> I'm not sure what to do at this point. Do I just need to update that
> paranter? How do I clean up from the failed demotion? Might there be
other
> issues, i.e. corrupt AD; Exchange issues?

The first thing to do is to use NTDSUtil to remove the
"abandoned DC object" from AD. Occasionally, it also
requires using ADSIEdit but don't go that route unless
the first part doesn't clean it up....

NTDS metadata cleanup

Search Google for:

[ NTDS "metadata cleanup" remove DC Domain ]

No need to add either site:microsoft.com OR microsoft:
since the NTDS and other terms make it Microsoft specific
by itself.

Unless you WISH to restrict answers to the site:microsoft.com
for some reason.

[ NTDS "metadata cleanup" remove DC Domain site:microsoft.com ]

Key points to NOTE when doing the metadata cleanup:

You CONNECT to a WORKING DC.
You SELECT the missing/dead DC or DOMAIN

'Connect' and 'Select' are technical terms in this context.

Follow the instructions in the link below.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216498

"Bill Mark" <Bill Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I phased out a 2000 DC. I now have two 2003 DCs. I did adprep, completed
> the process on mangled attributes (we upgraded Exchange 2000 to 2003),
moved
> the FSMO roles and demoted the server. Today I noticed that the DCs don't
> seem to be replicating. I found KB830746 and was checking both DCs when I
> noticed that in HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\serveices\ntds\paramters,
there
> is a registry parameter 'src root domain srv' whose value is my old 2000
DC.

> I'm not sure what to do at this point. Do I just need to update that
> paranter? How do I clean up from the failed demotion? Might there be
other
> issues, i.e. corrupt AD; Exchange issues?
>
> Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
>
> Bill

Thanks for the reply.

Bill

"Bill Mark" wrote:

> I phased out a 2000 DC. I now have two 2003 DCs. I did adprep, completed
> the process on mangled attributes (we upgraded Exchange 2000 to 2003), moved
> the FSMO roles and demoted the server. Today I noticed that the DCs don't
> seem to be replicating. I found KB830746 and was checking both DCs when I
> noticed that in HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\serveices\ntds\paramters, there
> is a registry parameter 'src root domain srv' whose value is my old 2000 DC.
>
> I'm not sure what to do at this point. Do I just need to update that
> paranter? How do I clean up from the failed demotion? Might there be other
> issues, i.e. corrupt AD; Exchange issues?
>
> Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
>
> Bill

Thanks,

I followed the instructions from the tech note, and the 2000 DC did not show
up in the list of DCs, so there was nothing to delete.

The replication issue I am having is NTDS Replication DS RPC client 1232
warning that says there is a timeout between my DCs. Article 830746
attributes this to slow network performance, but the DCs are on the same
100MB switch. I was going to change the timeout just to eliminate it as a
possibility.

I can change the 'src root domain srv' parameter to the the main DC, but it
concerns me that it is there to begin with.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Bill

"Paul Bergson" wrote:

> Follow the instructions in the link below.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216498
>
> --
>
> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> "Bill Mark" <Bill Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I phased out a 2000 DC. I now have two 2003 DCs. I did adprep, completed
> > the process on mangled attributes (we upgraded Exchange 2000 to 2003),
> moved
> > the FSMO roles and demoted the server. Today I noticed that the DCs don't
> > seem to be replicating. I found KB830746 and was checking both DCs when I
> > noticed that in HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\serveices\ntds\paramters,
> there
> > is a registry parameter 'src root domain srv' whose value is my old 2000
> DC.
> >
> > I'm not sure what to do at this point. Do I just need to update that
> > paranter? How do I clean up from the failed demotion? Might there be
> other
> > issues, i.e. corrupt AD; Exchange issues?
> >
> > Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Bill

In news:A244023C-6224-4C1E-8D5C-4BA382298715@microsoft.com,
Bill Mark <BillMark@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Thanks,
>
> I followed the instructions from the tech note, and the
> 2000 DC did not show up in the list of DCs, so there was
> nothing to delete.
>
> The replication issue I am having is NTDS Replication DS
> RPC client 1232 warning that says there is a timeout
> between my DCs. Article 830746 attributes this to slow
> network performance, but the DCs are on the same 100MB
> switch. I was going to change the timeout just to
> eliminate it as a possibility.
>
> I can change the 'src root domain srv' parameter to the
> the main DC, but it concerns me that it is there to begin
> with.
>
> Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

I take it that the Win2k DC was the original DC in this domain and you
dcpromoed it out of the domain.

Question 1, did the 5 FSMO roles get transferred to one one of the other
DCs?
If not you may have to use ntdsutil to seize these five roles.
255504 - Using Ntdsutil.exe to Seize or Transfer FSMO Roles to a Domain
Controller:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255504

Question 2, did you make one of the Win2k3 DCs a global Catalog? This will
not automatically transfer. You have to manually make the other DCs a Global
Catalog in ADS&S by expanding down to the NTDS Settings, click properties,
and check the Global Catalog box.
How To Create or Move a Global Catalog in Windows 2000:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313994

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Stuff the following in a batch file and run, make sure you change
server_name to a dc in your environment.
If you haven't loaded the support tools they should reside on your install
cd at d:\support\tools\setup.exe

@echo off

c:
cd \
cd "program files\support tools"

del c:\dcdiag.log
dcdiag /e /c /v /s:server_name /f:c:\dcdiag.log
start c:\dcdiag.log

del c:\netdiag.log
"C:\program files\support tools\netdiag" /v /l
start netdiag.log

del c:\repadmin.log
"C:\program files\support tools\repadmin" /replsum /bysrc /bydest
/sort:delta > c:\repadmin.log
"C:\program files\support tools\repadmin" /showreps server_name >>
c:\repadmin.log
start c:\repadmin.log

"Bill Mark" <BillMark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks,
>
> I followed the instructions from the tech note, and the 2000 DC did not
show
> up in the list of DCs, so there was nothing to delete.
>
> The replication issue I am having is NTDS Replication DS RPC client 1232
> warning that says there is a timeout between my DCs. Article 830746
> attributes this to slow network performance, but the DCs are on the same
> 100MB switch. I was going to change the timeout just to eliminate it as a
> possibility.
>
> I can change the 'src root domain srv' parameter to the the main DC, but
it
> concerns me that it is there to begin with.
>
> Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> Bill
>
> "Paul Bergson" wrote:
>
> > Follow the instructions in the link below.
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216498
> >
> > --
> >
> > Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

rights.

> > "Bill Mark" <Bill Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I phased out a 2000 DC. I now have two 2003 DCs. I did adprep,
completed
> > > the process on mangled attributes (we upgraded Exchange 2000 to 2003),
> > moved
> > > the FSMO roles and demoted the server. Today I noticed that the DCs
don't
> > > seem to be replicating. I found KB830746 and was checking both DCs
when I
> > > noticed that in
HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\serveices\ntds\paramters,
> > there
> > > is a registry parameter 'src root domain srv' whose value is my old
2000
> > DC.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure what to do at this point. Do I just need to update that
> > > paranter? How do I clean up from the failed demotion? Might there be
> > other
> > > issues, i.e. corrupt AD; Exchange issues?
> > >
> > > Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Bill

Kevin,

Yes, it was the original DC that I demoted, and the answer to both question
1 and 2 is 'Yes'. I double checked the FSMO and GC settings to make sure all
were correct before I did the dcpromo.

"Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" wrote:

> In news:A244023C-6224-4C1E-8D5C-4BA382298715@microsoft.com,
> Bill Mark <BillMark@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
> Then Kevin replied below:
> > Thanks,
> >
> > I followed the instructions from the tech note, and the
> > 2000 DC did not show up in the list of DCs, so there was
> > nothing to delete.
> >
> > The replication issue I am having is NTDS Replication DS
> > RPC client 1232 warning that says there is a timeout
> > between my DCs. Article 830746 attributes this to slow
> > network performance, but the DCs are on the same 100MB
> > switch. I was going to change the timeout just to
> > eliminate it as a possibility.
> >
> > I can change the 'src root domain srv' parameter to the
> > the main DC, but it concerns me that it is there to begin
> > with.
> >
> > Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> I take it that the Win2k DC was the original DC in this domain and you
> dcpromoed it out of the domain.
>
> Question 1, did the 5 FSMO roles get transferred to one one of the other
> DCs?
> If not you may have to use ntdsutil to seize these five roles.
> 255504 - Using Ntdsutil.exe to Seize or Transfer FSMO Roles to a Domain
> Controller:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255504
>
> Question 2, did you make one of the Win2k3 DCs a global Catalog? This will
> not automatically transfer. You have to manually make the other DCs a Global
> Catalog in ADS&S by expanding down to the NTDS Settings, click properties,
> and check the Global Catalog box.
> How To Create or Move a Global Catalog in Windows 2000:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313994
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
> Hope This Helps
> ===================================
> ===================================
> http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
> ===================================
> It will strip signature out and more
> ===================================
> with OEBackup:
> ===================================

Did what you recommended. The logs did not show any failures.

Bill

"Paul Bergson" wrote:

> Stuff the following in a batch file and run, make sure you change
> server_name to a dc in your environment.
> If you haven't loaded the support tools they should reside on your install
> cd at d:\support\tools\setup.exe
>
> @echo off
>
> c:
> cd \
> cd "program files\support tools"
>
> del c:\dcdiag.log
> dcdiag /e /c /v /s:server_name /f:c:\dcdiag.log
> start c:\dcdiag.log
>
> del c:\netdiag.log
> "C:\program files\support tools\netdiag" /v /l
> start netdiag.log
>
> del c:\repadmin.log
> "C:\program files\support tools\repadmin" /replsum /bysrc /bydest
> /sort:delta > c:\repadmin.log
> "C:\program files\support tools\repadmin" /showreps server_name >>
> c:\repadmin.log
> start c:\repadmin.log
>

> --
>
> Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> "Bill Mark" <BillMark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks,
> >
> > I followed the instructions from the tech note, and the 2000 DC did not
> show
> > up in the list of DCs, so there was nothing to delete.
> >
> > The replication issue I am having is NTDS Replication DS RPC client 1232
> > warning that says there is a timeout between my DCs. Article 830746
> > attributes this to slow network performance, but the DCs are on the same
> > 100MB switch. I was going to change the timeout just to eliminate it as a
> > possibility.
> >
> > I can change the 'src root domain srv' parameter to the the main DC, but
> it
> > concerns me that it is there to begin with.
> >
> > Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
> >
> > Bill
> >
> > "Paul Bergson" wrote:
> >
> > > Follow the instructions in the link below.
> > >
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/?id=216498
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

> rights.
> > >

> > > "Bill Mark" <Bill Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> completed
> > > moved
> don't
> when I
> HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\serveices\ntds\paramters,
> > > there
> 2000
> > > DC.

> > > other

Try this
Start up replmon (Replication Monitor) and add all you servers. Right
click on one of your servers and select "Generate Status Report", give it a
name and then select ALL tests. Once complete go through this log and look
for errors.

> Did what you recommended. The logs did not show any failures.
>
> Bill
>
> "Paul Bergson" wrote:
>
> > Stuff the following in a batch file and run, make sure you change
> > server_name to a dc in your environment.
> > If you haven't loaded the support tools they should reside on your
install
> > cd at d:\support\tools\setup.exe
> >
> > @echo off
> >
> > c:
> > cd \
> > cd "program files\support tools"
> >
> > del c:\dcdiag.log
> > dcdiag /e /c /v /s:server_name /f:c:\dcdiag.log
> > start c:\dcdiag.log
> >
> > del c:\netdiag.log
> > "C:\program files\support tools\netdiag" /v /l
> > start netdiag.log
> >
> > del c:\repadmin.log
> > "C:\program files\support tools\repadmin" /replsum /bysrc /bydest
> > /sort:delta > c:\repadmin.log
> > "C:\program files\support tools\repadmin" /showreps server_name >>
> > c:\repadmin.log
> > start c:\repadmin.log
> >

> > --
> >
> > Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

rights.

> > "Bill Mark" <BillMark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > I followed the instructions from the tech note, and the 2000 DC did
not
> > show
> > > up in the list of DCs, so there was nothing to delete.
> > >
> > > The replication issue I am having is NTDS Replication DS RPC client
1232
> > > warning that says there is a timeout between my DCs. Article 830746
> > > attributes this to slow network performance, but the DCs are on the
same
> > > 100MB switch. I was going to change the timeout just to eliminate it
as a
> > > possibility.
> > >
> > > I can change the 'src root domain srv' parameter to the the main DC,
but
> > it
> > > concerns me that it is there to begin with.
> > >
> > > Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
> > >
> > > Bill

> > rights.

> > completed
DCs
> > don't
DCs
> > when I
> > HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\serveices\ntds\paramters,
> > 2000

Paul,

Thanks for the reply.

When I run replmon on both DCs, I see a reference to a "**Deleted Server #3"
under current trasitive replication partner status for
Directory Partition: DC=neopharm,DC=com,
Directory Partition: CN=Configuration,DC=neopharm,DC=com and
Directory Partition: CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=neopharm,DC=com"

Bill