AMD-First Quad Core In 2007

Parrot

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2005
Some people need reminding that the FIRST AMD quad core CPU is due to ship in 2007! :lol:
1619_large_69.jpg

Parrot

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2005
AMD announced that K8L, which is "Next Gen Core" won't be out until 2008.
Where, when??The truth is that there will be 4 quad core processor products.
Care to name them?? :lol:

... useless and outdated.
This is a good description of your post!!! :lol:

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
there will be K8 quadcores in mid 2007. but no K8L until 2008 as it is pointed on the slide that Parot has provided.
Anyway the slide is from the bible. Parrot, if you do some resarch in the archives you might find older crap to spam THG.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

There is alot of confusion as to when Quad will hit from AMD. The Henri Richard article says they have a few samples. WHat people have to remember is that AMD is the smaller company and doesn't have the resources to spread samples everywhere at given points in their design schedule.

Supposedly Brisbane is entering Verification soon, so there's a good chance that at least a Simulated K8L chip is running.

AMD is not really very forthcoming and the roadmap linked to has next gen core for 2007 and core update for 2008.

It would seem like K8L would be the update and the "new" architecture Hector talked about would be the next gen. Maybe it's one of those TYPOS.

Either way I guess we'll find out soon enough.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
Yes there will be AMD quad cores in 2007. I don't believe that was ever in doubt. Deerhound is set for H2 2007, and it appears to be K8-based. It's supposed to use HT2.0 and continue using Registered DDR2 in order to be compatible with current Socket F platforms. Zamora will arrive in 2008 and that will be K8L, featuring HT3.0 and FB-DIMMs. FB-DIMM support will of course make it incompatible with current Socket F motherboards.

I'm not sure why you're starting a new thread on this old information, because AMD quad-cores in 2007 does not necessary guarantee K8L in 2007 also.

ltcommander_data

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2004
Precisely, Deerhound is a quad core and it will be out in 2007, but that doesn't mean that it's K8L.

It's actually good that you point out that outlook. I believe it's a bit dated now since I don't think they've been updating, but it's so generalized it's not really a problem. If you check you'll see that Direct Connect 2.0 and greater than 8-way computing are both set for 2008. I believe those were both features of K8L.

The thing is, that shared L3 caches are set for 2007 and that's also a K8L feature. This in itself isn't as significant though, because Deerhound is supposed to use a shared L2 cache, so the development of AMD's own shared cache algorithms are inline.

I've pointed this out before, but AMD's roadmaps and interviews have been optimistic before.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2565

Here, they report that they have DDR2 support "Now" when it was October 14, 2005. You'd think that if Anandtech was a "paid Intel pumper" it would be underestimating not overestimating AMD's roadmaps.

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006

There is alot of confusion as to when Quad will hit from AMD. The Henri Richard article says they have a few samples. WHat people have to remember is that AMD is the smaller company and doesn't have the resources to spread samples everywhere at given points in their design schedule.

Supposedly Brisbane is entering Verification soon, so there's a good chance that at least a Simulated K8L chip is running.

AMD is not really very forthcoming and the roadmap linked to has next gen core for 2007 and core update for 2008.

It would seem like K8L would be the update and the "new" architecture Hector talked about would be the next gen. Maybe it's one of those TYPOS.

Either way I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Your blind reliance on what king Richard says(K8L in 2007) is only barely surpassed by your reliance on the Inq gods. I'm wondering if you have some sort of oedipus complex for the guy.

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
It makes one wonder why AMD is not forthcoming... maybe their plans are as much of a mystery to them as they are to us! :lol:

They weren't very forthcoming with Opteron.

OOHH. That must mean there's some big secret wonder chip they're working on then, huh?

Speaking of which, they wont do quad core till 65nm (next year) and Intel is prolly sitting there waiting for them to release it, 4x4 is just there backup plan incase intel wants to show her fists.