Interesting market trends...

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Thought some of you might find this "Retail Market" information interesting:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6092226.html?tag=nl.e589

Thsis is possibly the most interesting quote:

AMD still holds the lion's share of the desktop market. AMD accounted for 73 percent of all retail desktops in the United States, while Intel accounted for only 26.8 percent. But it's a mixed blessing, Bhavnani noted. AMD in May was dominant in the machines that cost $750. The chipmaker accounted for 84.5 percent of desktops costing up to $500 and 88.9 percent of desktops priced between $500 and $750.

This what I keep saying. AMD is ruling the desktop market while Intel has caught up in LAPTOPS.
The higher end Dell machines are doing more but I can say I rarely see Intel desktops in retail stores. I'll look again this weekend, though. I also don't remember seeing a ViiV sign anywhere so again without Dell, they'd be SOL.

I hear Dell has "redefined the nature of their relationship." (to quote Val Kilmer's Doc Holiday) "You maybe the AntiChrist."

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Also if you notice the gap is VERY small and is becaus ethey are dumping CRAPPY Celerons into laptops. Boy would that suck, comparatively. Intel will run out of luck one day. I hope to see your face.

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006

AMD still holds the lion's share of the desktop market. AMD accounted for 73 percent of all retail desktops in the United States, while Intel accounted for only 26.8 percent. But it's a mixed blessing, Bhavnani noted. AMD in May was dominant in the machines that cost $750. The chipmaker accounted for 84.5 percent of desktops costing up to $500 and 88.9 percent of desktops priced between $500 and $750.

This what I keep saying. AMD is ruling the desktop market while Intel has caught up in LAPTOPS.
The higher end Dell machines are doing more but I can say I rarely see Intel desktops in retail stores. I'll look again this weekend, though. I also don't remember seeing a ViiV sign anywhere so again without Dell, they'd be SOL.

I hear Dell has "redefined the nature of their relationship." (to quote Val Kilmer's Doc Holiday) "You maybe the AntiChrist."

I noticed this as well...you really have to look for the VIIV systems when you go into Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. Intel has not done a very good job of plastering the place with sales posters like AMD has.

It is surprising that VIIV has made such inroads considering there is little visible marketing in retail stores though.

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Intel will run out of luck one day. I hope to see your face.

Why? Are you assuming I have a vested interest in Intel? Can you show me a single post of mine that leads you to this conclusion?

Let's try to keep this thread civil, ok?

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

I noticed this as well...you really have to look for the VIIV systems when you go into Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. Intel has not done a very good job of plastering the place with sales posters like AMD has.

It is surprising that VIIV has made such inroads considering there is little visible marketing in retail stores though.

That's because Dell has ~32% of the desktop market, bu tjust aren't in "retail." Because Dell needs CPUs, Intel has to have some for them so the Toshiba deals won't go on forever.

They have also been dumping cheap P4s into HD-DVD drives but those won't sell (in volume) before next year.

ALso this is for ONE MONTH. AMD has had this title for awhile. They eclipsed Intel for the first time last year.

The key to market share is units per time. Thsi can fluctuate through a few months. Also, this may have been a deal Toshiba did with a business and dragged Intel in and not retail stores.

I'm not making excuses or anything but TREND is the word. This may or may not be a trend. IF it does it will cost Intel even more for undercutting. Turions are not THAT expensive.

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
Wow, you really really don't like any sort of positive Intel news do you? Or, even negative AMD news for that matter. I want to see your face this time next month when the numbers are even better for Intel.

See you in a month. :lol:

bixplus

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
[quote="BaronMatrix]Thsis is possibly the most interesting quote:

[/quote]

I think the more interesting quote is this:

By contrast, Intel accounted for 52.1 percent of desktops costing $750 to $999 and a whopping 91.7 percent of those starting at $1,250 that month.

This segment of the market allows for much better margins, and it makes sense that Intel targets it heavily. Looks like their efforts are paying off.