Trust error between W2k and W2k3 forests

We are getting an error when trying to setup an external trust between a W2K
native domain/forest and W2K3 domain/forest. The W2K native domain can
create the trust without any problem. The W2K3 domain gets the following
error:
"The operation failed. A device attached to the system is not functioning."

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
More about trust error w2k3 forests

    "Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We are getting an error when trying to setup an external trust between a
    W2K
    > native domain/forest and W2K3 domain/forest. The W2K native domain can
    > create the trust without any problem. The W2K3 domain gets the following
    > error:
    > "The operation failed. A device attached to the system is not
    functioning."

    > Does anyone have any ideas?

    As pt said, "you need to start with name resolution".

    However, if this is two separate Forests as you seem
    to indicate, then NetBIOS name resolution is required.

    With more than one subnet, this means WINS server.

    And all machines (especially DCs) must be WINS clients
    of the same WINS database (a single WINS server or set
    of replicated servers.)

    And make sure all the DCs have NetBIOS enabled on the
    NIC advanced properties.

    As with most things, you need to start with name resolution. Can the PDCe
    in the 2003 domain resolve SRV records for the DCs in the 2000 domain?

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/

    Phil,

    You can also et cross-forest trusts to work by being creative with your DNS
    forwarding and domain declarations in LMHOSTS. As PT and Herb have
    indicated, you'll need to have resolution working between the PDCe in each
    domain. When you are crossing subnets to do this, you cannot just rely on
    default NetBIOS and would need WINS or LMHOSTS.
    --
    Ryan Hanisco
    MCSE, MCDBA

    > "Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> We are getting an error when trying to setup an external trust between a
    > W2K
    >> native domain/forest and W2K3 domain/forest. The W2K native domain can
    >> create the trust without any problem. The W2K3 domain gets the following
    >> error:
    >> "The operation failed. A device attached to the system is not
    > functioning."
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any ideas?
    >
    > As pt said, "you need to start with name resolution".
    >
    > However, if this is two separate Forests as you seem
    > to indicate, then NetBIOS name resolution is required.
    >
    > With more than one subnet, this means WINS server.
    >
    > And all machines (especially DCs) must be WINS clients
    > of the same WINS database (a single WINS server or set
    > of replicated servers.)
    >
    > And make sure all the DCs have NetBIOS enabled on the
    > NIC advanced properties.

Domain Microsoft Active Directory Windows