Installing Sharepoint 2003 in AD

Has anyone ever had problems installing sharepoint 2003 in a AD 2000
environment? Our tech group has 2 currently installed in our AD, but we
tried installing another and the install keeps failing. It fails before we
enter any information. We have tried installing on a variety of servers with
domain admin privs and without and they all failed.
The techs that installed this insist that it is AD related. Any ideas?
4 answers Last reply
More about installing sharepoint 2003

    Pigskin,

    Failed how? What error messages? Where did they install it? DMZ?

    --
    Ryan Hanisco
    MCSE, MCDBA

    "Pigskin" <Pigskin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Has anyone ever had problems installing sharepoint 2003 in a AD 2000
    > environment? Our tech group has 2 currently installed in our AD, but we
    > tried installing another and the install keeps failing. It fails before we
    > enter any information. We have tried installing on a variety of servers
    > with
    > domain admin privs and without and they all failed.
    > The techs that installed this insist that it is AD related. Any ideas?

    I was told there are no error message, it just starts rolling the
    installation back. Here's the tests the technician tried.

    Failed tests - not necessarily in order (Some of the tests may seem
    pointless, but they were necessary to prove to some of the others involved
    that they were not the issue (no matter which way the evidence pointed).

    - Standard LPA server build. Into NAM->LPA OU as "LPA OU Administrator"
    - Rebuilt approximately 20 times at Microsoft's request removing piece by
    piece the proprietary software (Dell apps, Adobe Reader, Trend, Backup Exec
    Remote Agent, etc)
    - Rebuilt using Windows 2003 CD with only RAID driver and NIC driver and
    adapter teaming software (Intel PROSet)
    - Rebuilt using Windows 2003 CD with only RAID driver and NIC driver
    - Tried different media. MSDN media, Select 6.0 media, downloaded MVLS media.
    - Tried different hardware. All previous tests had been performed on a Dell
    PowerEdge 2850. Tried install on a Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 instance.
    - Tried install into OU as domain administrator.
    - Tried install into default Computers container as domain administrator.

    The only two times we have had it successfully install are:

    - install into different AD domain default Computers container as enterprise
    administrator
    - install Windows, promote to DC of own forest/domain, install SPS

    According to the logs in %SystemRoot%\temp\ it appears to be dying on the
    single-sign on performance counters. Another technician thought it was SSO as
    well. I told them I believed that was where the problem was the first day I
    got involved with this case but the technician was convinced the problem was
    with the Dell hardware and had us waste days on that before I gave up on him
    and did the rest on my own.

    Let me know if you or Microsoft have any questions.

    Good luck on getting a better technician.

    "Ryan Hanisco" wrote:

    > Pigskin,
    >
    > Failed how? What error messages? Where did they install it? DMZ?
    >
    > --
    > Ryan Hanisco
    > MCSE, MCDBA
    > FlagShip Integration Services
    > Chicago, IL
    >
    > "Pigskin" <Pigskin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Has anyone ever had problems installing sharepoint 2003 in a AD 2000
    > > environment? Our tech group has 2 currently installed in our AD, but we
    > > tried installing another and the install keeps failing. It fails before we
    > > enter any information. We have tried installing on a variety of servers
    > > with
    > > domain admin privs and without and they all failed.
    > > The techs that installed this insist that it is AD related. Any ideas?

    The error is

    Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: WinMgmt
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 47
    Date: 3/22/2005
    Time: 9:36:08 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: NAMSGATWN099
    WMI ADAP was unable to retrieve data from the PerfLib subkey:
    SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SSO\Performance\Library, error code:
    0x80041009

    "Ryan Hanisco" wrote:

    > Pigskin,
    >
    > Failed how? What error messages? Where did they install it? DMZ?
    >
    > --
    > Ryan Hanisco
    > MCSE, MCDBA
    > FlagShip Integration Services
    > Chicago, IL
    >
    > "Pigskin" <Pigskin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Has anyone ever had problems installing sharepoint 2003 in a AD 2000
    > > environment? Our tech group has 2 currently installed in our AD, but we
    > > tried installing another and the install keeps failing. It fails before we
    > > enter any information. We have tried installing on a variety of servers
    > > with
    > > domain admin privs and without and they all failed.
    > > The techs that installed this insist that it is AD related. Any ideas?

    Pigskin,

    You were right to not think it was the hardware...

    This looks like a permissions and directory problem. I would run Netdiag
    from the server to verify that the network awareness of the AD is correct
    and ensure that the DNS is pointing at the AD-integrated DNS installed on
    the PDCe during the install.

    You might also look at DCDiag info on your DCs to wee out replication and
    Role problems.

    Finally, and I hate to say this, try the install as Administrator...Make
    sure that there isn't a problem with your admin equivalent accounts.

    --

> [...]
    >>
    >> Failed how? What error messages? Where did they install it? DMZ?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ryan Hanisco
    >> MCSE, MCDBA
    >> FlagShip Integration Services
    >> Chicago, IL
    >>
    >> "Pigskin" <Pigskin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Has anyone ever had problems installing sharepoint 2003 in a AD 2000
    >> > environment? Our tech group has 2 currently installed in our AD, but
    >> > we
    >> > tried installing another and the install keeps failing. It fails before
    >> > we
    >> > enter any information. We have tried installing on a variety of
    >> > servers
    >> > with
    >> > domain admin privs and without and they all failed.
    >> > The techs that installed this insist that it is AD related. Any ideas?

Microsoft Active Directory Windows