Installing Sharepoint 2003 in AD

Has anyone ever had problems installing sharepoint 2003 in a AD 2000
environment? Our tech group has 2 currently installed in our AD, but we
tried installing another and the install keeps failing. It fails before we
enter any information. We have tried installing on a variety of servers with
domain admin privs and without and they all failed.
The techs that installed this insist that it is AD related. Any ideas?

Pigskin,

Failed how? What error messages? Where did they install it? DMZ?

--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA

"Pigskin" <Pigskin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone ever had problems installing sharepoint 2003 in a AD 2000
> environment? Our tech group has 2 currently installed in our AD, but we
> tried installing another and the install keeps failing. It fails before we
> enter any information. We have tried installing on a variety of servers
> with
> domain admin privs and without and they all failed.
> The techs that installed this insist that it is AD related. Any ideas?

I was told there are no error message, it just starts rolling the
installation back. Here's the tests the technician tried.

Failed tests - not necessarily in order (Some of the tests may seem
pointless, but they were necessary to prove to some of the others involved
that they were not the issue (no matter which way the evidence pointed).

- Standard LPA server build. Into NAM->LPA OU as "LPA OU Administrator"
- Rebuilt approximately 20 times at Microsoft's request removing piece by
piece the proprietary software (Dell apps, Adobe Reader, Trend, Backup Exec
Remote Agent, etc)
- Rebuilt using Windows 2003 CD with only RAID driver and NIC driver and
adapter teaming software (Intel PROSet)
- Rebuilt using Windows 2003 CD with only RAID driver and NIC driver
- Tried different media. MSDN media, Select 6.0 media, downloaded MVLS media.
- Tried different hardware. All previous tests had been performed on a Dell
PowerEdge 2850. Tried install on a Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 instance.
- Tried install into OU as domain administrator.
- Tried install into default Computers container as domain administrator.

The only two times we have had it successfully install are:

- install into different AD domain default Computers container as enterprise
administrator
- install Windows, promote to DC of own forest/domain, install SPS

According to the logs in %SystemRoot%\temp\ it appears to be dying on the
single-sign on performance counters. Another technician thought it was SSO as
well. I told them I believed that was where the problem was the first day I
got involved with this case but the technician was convinced the problem was
with the Dell hardware and had us waste days on that before I gave up on him
and did the rest on my own.

Let me know if you or Microsoft have any questions.

Good luck on getting a better technician.

"Ryan Hanisco" wrote:

> Pigskin,
>
> Failed how? What error messages? Where did they install it? DMZ?
>
> --
> Ryan Hanisco
> MCSE, MCDBA
> FlagShip Integration Services
> Chicago, IL
>
> "Pigskin" <Pigskin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Has anyone ever had problems installing sharepoint 2003 in a AD 2000
> > environment? Our tech group has 2 currently installed in our AD, but we
> > tried installing another and the install keeps failing. It fails before we
> > enter any information. We have tried installing on a variety of servers
> > with
> > domain admin privs and without and they all failed.
> > The techs that installed this insist that it is AD related. Any ideas?

The error is

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: WinMgmt
Event Category: None
Event ID: 47
Date: 3/22/2005
Time: 9:36:08 AM
User: N/A
Computer: NAMSGATWN099
WMI ADAP was unable to retrieve data from the PerfLib subkey:
SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SSO\Performance\Library, error code:
0x80041009

"Ryan Hanisco" wrote:

> Pigskin,
>
> Failed how? What error messages? Where did they install it? DMZ?
>
> --
> Ryan Hanisco
> MCSE, MCDBA
> FlagShip Integration Services
> Chicago, IL
>
> "Pigskin" <Pigskin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Has anyone ever had problems installing sharepoint 2003 in a AD 2000
> > environment? Our tech group has 2 currently installed in our AD, but we
> > tried installing another and the install keeps failing. It fails before we
> > enter any information. We have tried installing on a variety of servers
> > with
> > domain admin privs and without and they all failed.
> > The techs that installed this insist that it is AD related. Any ideas?

Pigskin,

You were right to not think it was the hardware...

This looks like a permissions and directory problem. I would run Netdiag
from the server to verify that the network awareness of the AD is correct
and ensure that the DNS is pointing at the AD-integrated DNS installed on
the PDCe during the install.

You might also look at DCDiag info on your DCs to wee out replication and
Role problems.

Finally, and I hate to say this, try the install as Administrator...Make
sure that there isn't a problem with your admin equivalent accounts.