Two servers with same domain name?

Joe

I am curious. Can you have two different computers with same domain name and
ip address ( but not running at the same time) and have clients work on
either? I have a test bench with multiple combinations of servers and
clients. I would like to have (A) SBS2003 server with (B) 2 or 3 client
computers
OR
(C) a pair of 2003 servers plus ISA server using the same the same domain
name with the same (B) 2 or 3 client computers.

I would power up only one group of servers at a time of course.

I would assume it is not possible because of different SIDs or something,
but I'm sure someone has tried it and knows. Or perhaps no one has tried it
and I'm the only bean head that doesn't know!!

You are 100% right on the SIDs and all... not to mention the AD problems.

--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA

"Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am curious. Can you have two different computers with same domain name
>and
> ip address ( but not running at the same time) and have clients work on
> either? I have a test bench with multiple combinations of servers and
> clients. I would like to have (A) SBS2003 server with (B) 2 or 3 client
> computers
> OR
> (C) a pair of 2003 servers plus ISA server using the same the same domain
> name with the same (B) 2 or 3 client computers.
>
> I would power up only one group of servers at a time of course.
>
> I would assume it is not possible because of different SIDs or something,
> but I'm sure someone has tried it and knows. Or perhaps no one has tried
> it
> and I'm the only bean head that doesn't know!!

The main problem you will have, or at least the main problem that you will
see, is with the secure channel.

Each domain member has a kind of trust with all DCs in the domain. This is
known as the secure channel, and is managed with a password that the client
changes every 30 days. If you have two machines with the same name, joined
to the domain, one won't work. To get it to work, you will need to reset
the secure channel.

Have a search through these groups. Others have tried, and failed, to do
this. It's not designed to work this way.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

Joe

Thanks to both of you. That is what I need to know.