Heat problem on opty 165

I read somwhere that the safe heat threshold for this cpu was about 61°c and i am a little worried with my heat readings.

When idle i'am @ about 40° but reaching as high as 57° when running prime 95's torture test.

I suspect a little bit that a friend of mine added a little to much thermal paste( about a half an artic silver 5 tube) when the computer was assebled. Do you think this could be my problem ?

Here are my specs:

Opteron 165@9*230(2070mhz) stock voltage
AsusR32 Mvp Deluxe
Corsair xms 3200 2*1gb
Zalman 9500led Heat sink
Thermaltake Shark case
Aspire Chameleon 550W psu
Sapphire X1900XT
5 answers Last reply
More about heat problem opty
  1. HALF A TUBE ?

Don't let that retard touch your computer again !

I would love to see some pics of that mess...
  2. 8O . o O (half the tube?)

Wouldn't hurt to redo the thermal paste to be sure.

Instructions:

AS5 - Instructions

Guess you should say how long you had the system, and when you started to notice or even knew it was running that way.

Also check airflow and clean out dust that may have collected on the HSF.
  3. Quote:
    I read somwhere that the safe heat threshold for this cpu was about 61°c and i am a little worried with my heat readings.

When idle i'am @ about 40° but reaching as high as 57° when running prime 95's torture test.

I suspect a little bit that a friend of mine added a little to much thermal paste( about a half an artic silver 5 tube) when the computer was assebled. Do you think this could be my problem ?

Here are my specs:

Opteron 165@9*230(2070mhz) stock voltage
    AsusR32 Mvp Deluxe
    Corsair xms 3200 2*1gb
    Zalman 9500led Heat sink
    Thermaltake Shark case
    Aspire Chameleon 550W psu
    Sapphire X1900XT

Wow, half a tube eh? Well, I have the same processor and mine idles at 27 degrees and has hardly ever got up above 40 degrees under load. With arctic silver, you only need a tiny bit. Not half a tube. Even when I had the stock cooler on my 165 it idled at 31 degrees. Take the HSF off and reinstall it properly. Another problem that could occur is if Arctic silver gets on the motherboard, it could cause further damage and problems.
  4. ...half.......holy sh*t when you put the cooler down did it like drip out??

yeah, post some pics.
  5. Had it for about 2 months now so there is no dust. Before O.C my idle heat was about 35° and on full load maby 46-7° so i thougt it was odd that the heat whent up this much on such a small o.c(and no change in voltage)

I had seen this about only applying a very small amount of paste, but i had never done it before so i let the bastard(wich is supposed to be smarter with computers then me) do it :D

Come to think of it there was maby a small amount that came out from the side wich was just wiped clean :D

Just goes to show... Trust the internet not your friends!

Going to re-apply the paste and see what happens :D
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Heat Thermal Compound