System won't recognize IDE hds

jjz0393

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I just got a new mobo and cpu today; installed it and booted up but the hds (a 160WD and a 40IBM) aren't being recognized. Its an ASUS a8n5x board. I know the drives work because I was using them on the old mobo and cpu. The only thing I can think of that would be different here is the fact that this board is sata. I checked the BIOS; everything looks good.

I tried disabling the SATA; that didn't work
I had the drives set to master and slave originally (when they worked before) I tried setting them to cable select; that didn't work

any ideas?

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hey J,
What you need to do is go to the WD website (like I did when I got my Raptor) and Download the FLOPPY utility that will enable you to "INITIALIZE" the disk, that's why your computer can't "SEE" the hdds. Once the disk is initialized, you can boot up your os and install.
What you need to do after you get the utility on a floppy, is go into your bios and make sure your boot sequence is set to boot FLOPPY first !! After you set this, insert your floppy, hit CTL + ALT+ DEL and follow the directions once the floppy gets going.
Hope this helps, and if you need any more help send another post and I'll get back to ya :)
Mike aka paybax

Antec P180 PerformanceSeries Mid-Tower Case
SeaSonic S12 600 watt power supply
Asus A8N32 SLI mobo AMD N-Force 4 SLIX16 (bios 1103 V02.58)
RealTek 97 onboard digital 5.1 Surround
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo Core, 2 X 1mb L2 cache (AMD drivers w/MS hotfix)
2 gigs of Corsair TwinX3500LL Pro @ 437Mhz 2-3-2-6-1T
2- BFG Tech 7900 GT OC 256mg in SLI (nvidia driver 84.21)
Western Digital RAPTOR 74.3 gig 10-K rpm HDD for XP & Apps
Maxtor SATA II 250 G HDD for gaming, movies, MP3's
Maxtor SATA II 250 G HDD for document backup (unplugged)
Sony CD rom 52X
Plextor 708-A DVD/CD rom
Logitech Z-5500 digital 5.1 THX Surround 500watts

jjz0393

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Ok so I downloaded the disk utility and now the BIOS recognizes the drives but when it gets past the screen where it shows the summary of drives and IRQs it brings me to the option to boot with safe mode, last known good config, or windows normally; either one I select it just reboots and does it all over again..

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

sturm

Splendid
you wont be able to boot to your old installation of windows. You have the wrong drivers installed. Your best bet is to do a complete reinstall of the os. Hopefully you backed up any important info before you switched out the boards.

jjz0393

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Sturm, I was afraid of that; thanks for the confirmation though

Thanks for all your help guys; if I have any more problems I'lll re-submit

paybax

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Hey J,
Good luck with that... and Supreme is right, all the people at ASUS forums are pretty solid and are more than happy to offer advice
Mike