How to use secondary IP (NIC) for DNS res only??

All.

I am looking to set up a second nic with its own IP for the DNS resolution
on my AD domain server. How can I set that up so that the secondary only
receives DNS replies and the other NIC remains open for other traffic..

Thanks

More about secondary only

    Doesn't sound like a very good idea to me :-(

    Can you elaborate on what, exactly, are you trying to achieve?

    Perhaps there's a better solution...

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/

    well we are currently reworking the domains and i was looking to use the
    first new DC as both main DNS and DC.. but i want to use a new separate IP
    address for DNS so that i can apply dhcp to a new IP.. all knowing that down
    the road (when hardware arrives) i can use that IP for that dns box..

    "ptwilliams" wrote:

    > Doesn't sound like a very good idea to me :-(
    >
    > Can you elaborate on what, exactly, are you trying to achieve?
    >
    > Perhaps there's a better solution...
    >

    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net/
    > http://forums.msresource.net/

    DESIGN..

    what i currently have is a testing area that has multiple domain controllers
    of all OS's.. BUT with AD running in that room i only want to have 1 DNS
    running and have the DHCP point to that.. the reason is that the testers
    change the member servers to different domains regularly and they have to add
    the new DC/DNS IP address so that it authenticates.. i do not want to have
    them worrying about this.. one last point of failure..

    any ideas are welcome..

    "ptwilliams" wrote:

    > Doesn't sound like a very good idea to me :-(
    >
    > Can you elaborate on what, exactly, are you trying to achieve?
    >
    > Perhaps there's a better solution...
    >

    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net/
    > http://forums.msresource.net/

    You can configure DNS to listen on the one IP address. However, if you are
    limiting machines to one NIC you have to stop the other NIC from registering
    in DNS and ensure that all clients can access that interface. If they
    cannot route to it your in trouble.

    You don't want DNS registrations from the other NIC as roundrobin will pass
    that back first for some of the _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.domain-name.com and the
    like queries...

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/

    this looks like what i am trying to accomplish.. i will give it a try..

    silence is acceptance..

    thanks for the help

    "ptwilliams" wrote:

    > You can configure DNS to listen on the one IP address. However, if you are
    > limiting machines to one NIC you have to stop the other NIC from registering
    > in DNS and ensure that all clients can access that interface. If they
    > cannot route to it your in trouble.
    >
    > You don't want DNS registrations from the other NIC as roundrobin will pass
    > that back first for some of the _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.domain-name.com and the
    > like queries...
    >

    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net/