How to use secondary IP (NIC) for DNS res only??

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

All.

I am looking to set up a second nic with its own IP for the DNS resolution
on my AD domain server. How can I set that up so that the secondary only
receives DNS replies and the other NIC remains open for other traffic..

Thanks

Doesn't sound like a very good idea to me :-(

Can you elaborate on what, exactly, are you trying to achieve?

Perhaps there's a better solution...

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

well we are currently reworking the domains and i was looking to use the
first new DC as both main DNS and DC.. but i want to use a new separate IP
address for DNS so that i can apply dhcp to a new IP.. all knowing that down
the road (when hardware arrives) i can use that IP for that dns box..

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> Doesn't sound like a very good idea to me :-(
>
> Can you elaborate on what, exactly, are you trying to achieve?
>
> Perhaps there's a better solution...
>

> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net/
> http://forums.msresource.net/

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

DESIGN..

what i currently have is a testing area that has multiple domain controllers
of all OS's.. BUT with AD running in that room i only want to have 1 DNS
running and have the DHCP point to that.. the reason is that the testers
change the member servers to different domains regularly and they have to add
the new DC/DNS IP address so that it authenticates.. i do not want to have
them worrying about this.. one last point of failure..

any ideas are welcome..

"ptwilliams" wrote:

> Doesn't sound like a very good idea to me :-(
>
> Can you elaborate on what, exactly, are you trying to achieve?
>
> Perhaps there's a better solution...
>

> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net/
> http://forums.msresource.net/

You can configure DNS to listen on the one IP address. However, if you are
limiting machines to one NIC you have to stop the other NIC from registering
in DNS and ensure that all clients can access that interface. If they
cannot route to it your in trouble.

You don't want DNS registrations from the other NIC as roundrobin will pass
that back first for some of the _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.domain-name.com and the
like queries...

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

this looks like what i am trying to accomplish.. i will give it a try..

silence is acceptance..

thanks for the help