Sign in with
Your question

HELP with upgrading system

Last response: in Systems
July 11, 2006 2:01:05 AM

hello, new to these forums

i have an old gaming rig, and my parents for my birthday put some upgrades into it. they gave me a better hard drive, and an awesome dvd burner cd rom drive, as well as a good power supply.

i was wondering where i should go from here. it is running a p4 1.5 ghz, with an old skool mobo... not worth even looking at what it is..

i need a new MOBO, CPU, and a graphics card. all on a budget. >.>

i want to play games like farcry and HL2, as well as halo etc at reasonable quality. i dont need cutting edge.

my price range is medium low. i am pretty sure i want a amd athlon 64 3000 for the cpu, and a while ago i was drooling over the 6600GT. any other suggestions?

i want socket 939, and not agp.... but then again, if you can find things that are one generation behind, and even agp, and they run the things i want to with "ok" quality, i will look into them.

this is just a budget gaming system, i expect ok quality, and a good price.

thanks for all the help.

Cheers, Dan

More about : upgrading system

July 11, 2006 2:11:27 AM

Which power supply did you get?
Is the hard drive parallel or serial?
Related resources
July 11, 2006 2:35:34 AM

Prophecy is right you should get something that has more features and twice the power. Get at leaast a 550 watt PSU or 600Watt.
July 11, 2006 2:37:08 AM

550W is overkill for this system..... he could easily get away with a 450W..... or even 400.
July 11, 2006 2:49:40 AM

i havent checked yet, but i think my PS is around 350W.. >.>

so, you suggest current gen, but medium price?

not high-end last gen?
!