Reactivation after installing Norton

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I was under the impression that Windows XP activation was concerned solely
with hardware changes but recent attempts to install Norton Internet
Security have demanded reactivation of Windows on re-boot. On the latest
occasion I had to phone the damn company to get it working because I had
used up my quota of 'free' on-line activations.

The following paragraph from the Microsoft web site makes no mention of
software changes:

'If you overhaul your computer by replacing a substantial number of hardware
components, it may appear to be a different PC. You may have to reactivate
Windows XP. If this should occur, you can call the telephone number
displayed on the activation screen to reactivate the software.'

This is very annoying. Anyone else had a problem??

Regards,

David Webster

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

David;
Something else must have changed or seemed to change within Windows.
I have never had that after uninstalling/installing NIS or any other
software.

Obviously it can happen with certain hardware and I have heard of it a
few times with drivers.

See this for a good explanation on Activation:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"David Webster" <davidtwebster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I was under the impression that Windows XP activation was concerned
>solely
> with hardware changes but recent attempts to install Norton Internet
> Security have demanded reactivation of Windows on re-boot. On the
> latest
> occasion I had to phone the damn company to get it working because I
> had
> used up my quota of 'free' on-line activations.
>
> The following paragraph from the Microsoft web site makes no mention
> of
> software changes:
>
> 'If you overhaul your computer by replacing a substantial number of
> hardware
> components, it may appear to be a different PC. You may have to
> reactivate
> Windows XP. If this should occur, you can call the telephone number
> displayed on the activation screen to reactivate the software.'
>
> This is very annoying. Anyone else had a problem??
>
> Regards,
>
> David Webster

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Did you also get an activation alert for NIS or just for Windows? Symantec
programs now require activation also.

> David;
> Something else must have changed or seemed to change within Windows.
> I have never had that after uninstalling/installing NIS or any other
> software.
>
> Obviously it can happen with certain hardware and I have heard of it a few
> times with drivers.
>
> See this for a good explanation on Activation:
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
>

> "David Webster" <davidtwebster@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I was under the impression that Windows XP activation was concerned solely
>> with hardware changes but recent attempts to install Norton Internet
>> Security have demanded reactivation of Windows on re-boot. On the latest
>> occasion I had to phone the damn company to get it working because I had
>> used up my quota of 'free' on-line activations.
>>
>> The following paragraph from the Microsoft web site makes no mention of
>> software changes:
>>
>> 'If you overhaul your computer by replacing a substantial number of
>> hardware
>> components, it may appear to be a different PC. You may have to
>> reactivate
>> Windows XP. If this should occur, you can call the telephone number
>> displayed on the activation screen to reactivate the software.'
>>
>> This is very annoying. Anyone else had a problem??
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> David Webster

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I am surprised that any Norton product would trigger "XP activation".
However, Norton products do have their own activation, and they have the
concept of multiple (a few) "free" activations.