How do I create computer accounts without setting up new p..

I am planning on reinstalling the OS on my domain controller. After doing
this I will re setup the domain. the workstations are configured for the old
domain. It will take alot of time to recreate a new profile on the
workstations. How do I add the computer accounts to the new domain without
having to resetup the profiles on the workstations? Is this even possible?

John Forbes

One way would be to perform a full blown migration. In other words, set up a
temp server, promote it to a DC for your "new" domain, migrate your groups,
users, computers (respectively) from the old domain to the new (using ADMT or
other 3rd party tools). This will keep all profiles intact on the client
computers. Once the migration project finishes, demote your current domain
DC and promote it to a DC for the new domain.

AJ, MCSE

"A. J. Davis" wrote:
> One way would be to perform a full blown migration. In other
> words, set up a
> temp server, promote it to a DC for your "new" domain, migrate
> your groups,
> users, computers (respectively) from the old domain to the new
> (using ADMT or
> other 3rd party tools). This will keep all profiles intact on
> the client
> computers. Once the migration project finishes, demote your
> current domain
> DC and promote it to a DC for the new domain.
>
> AJ, MCSE
>
> "forbesj22" wrote:
>
> > I am planning on reinstalling the OS on my domain
> controller. After doing
> > this I will re setup the domain. the workstations are
> configured for the old
> > domain. It will take alot of time to recreate a new profile
> on the
> > workstations. How do I add the computer accounts to the new
> domain without
> > having to resetup the profiles on the workstations? Is this
> even possible?
> >
> > John Forbes

Hi,

Look into the Active Directory Migration Tool. It is a free download
from the tools section of the Windows Server Page. It should do what
you need.

Cheers,
Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-create-computer-accounts-setting-profiles-ftopict346087.html