Event ID: 1559
Date: 3/18/2005
Time: 2:50:35 PM
User: Everyone
Computer: DVADER
A request has been made to promote this DSA to a Global Catalog (GC). A
precondition to becoming a GC is that this server host a read-only copy of
all partitions in the enterprise. This server should hold a copy of
partition DC=XXXX,DC=com but it does not. This system will not be promoted to
a GC until this condition is met.

This may be because the KCC has not run, or that it is unable to add a
replica of the partition because all of its sources are down. Please check
the event log for KCC errors.

The KCC will retry adding the replica.

--
end war
stop greed

    "Gina" <Gina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I may have accidently promoted a DC to host a GC for an empty domain with
    no
    > domain controllers.

    There is no such thing.

    If you did a DCPromo into a new domain, then
    this would in fact be the first DC for that domain
    (i.e., it did not exist before the promotion).

    If you intended to add the DC to an existing domain,
    just DCPromo it again (to non-DC first), then again
    into the correct domain.

    As to GC -- only a DC can become a GC and so you would
    have to have at least one DC to make a GC anyway --
    and if this is the only DC in the domain it really must
    be the GC also.

    > There are repeated messages in the event log for this DC
    > stating how promotion to a GC has been delayed or that it cannot not occur
    > because of precondition not being met.
    >
    > I want to cancel this request or do something to eliminate all these
    > messages in the event log. They've been piling up for weeks now. Any
    ideas?

    Start by running DCDiag (probably /fix is a good idea too)
    and double checking your DNS which is usually at the heart
    of most replication problems (this is one of those) and most
    authentication problems (which might be involved too.)

    > Here is one such event, names of innocent marked by X:
    >
    > Event Type: Information
    > Event Source: NTDS Replication
    > Event Category: Replication
    > Event ID: 1559
    > Date: 3/18/2005
    > Time: 2:50:35 PM
    > User: Everyone
    > Computer: DVADER
    > A request has been made to promote this DSA to a Global Catalog (GC). A
    > precondition to becoming a GC is that this server host a read-only copy of
    > all partitions in the enterprise. This server should hold a copy of
    > partition DC=XXXX,DC=com but it does not. This system will not be promoted
    > a GC until this condition is met.

    My guess is that you did the DCPromo into the exiting
    domain and perhaps deferred the replication (this is a
    choice during promotion to DC) -- then you tried to make
    it a GC before that replication occurred.

    Likely the REAL problem is that you aren't really replicating
    (much of anything) proprerly so again, check DNS and use
    DCDiag (see below....)

    DNS for AD
    1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
    2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
    that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
    3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2
    4) If you have more than one Domain, every DNS server must
    be able to resolve ALL domains (either directly or indirectly)

    netdiag /fix

    ....or maybe:

    dcdiag /fix

    (Win2003 can do this from Support tools):
    nltest /dsregdns /server:DC-ServerNameGoesHere
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q260371/

    Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
    servers for that (internal) zone/domain.

    Also useful may be running DCDiag on each DC, sending the
    output to a text file, and searching for FAIL, ERROR, WARN.

    Single Label domain zone names are a problem Google:
    [ "SINGLE LABEL" domain names DNS 2000 | 2003 microsoft: ]

    I do not know what I did, and you are probably right. The fact remains
    however that I have repeated messages in the event log saying that promoting
    this DC to a GC has been delayed, with the additional message regarding a
    domain that is in the tree but has no DCs and, as far as I know, does not
    really exist.

    In one of these AD dialogs is a checkbox that says "this DC hosts the Global
    Catalog"--or something like that. I think it got checked for this DC. AD is
    trying to do it but cannot. The question is--can I stop the request?

    Or--can I fulfill the condition that the event message I pasted in this
    issue is asking? What does the message mean?

    Many questions.

    > I do not know what I did, and you are probably right. The fact remains
    > however that I have repeated messages in the event log saying that
    promoting
    > this DC to a GC has been delayed, with the additional message regarding a
    > domain that is in the tree but has no DCs and, as far as I know, does not
    > really exist.
    >
    > In one of these AD dialogs is a checkbox that says "this DC hosts the
    Global
    > Catalog"--or something like that. I think it got checked for this DC. AD
    is
    > trying to do it but cannot. The question is--can I stop the request?
    >
    > Or--can I fulfill the condition that the event message I pasted in this
    > issue is asking? What does the message mean?

    What I suggested was that you treat is as a failure to
    replicated.

    Investigate your DNS, etc. as indicated in my prior
    post.

    If that doesn't resolve the issue (make double sure
    you fixed DNS) then (as long as you have another
    fully functioning DC for this domain) DCPromo
    the DC twice -- once to non-DC, again back to a
    DC.

    Note: if there is a replication problem, you may need
    the /forceremoval switch when you run DCPromo
    (from a command line or Start->Run).

    DCPromo /forceremoval requires a later service pack
    on Win2000 DCs.

Active Directory Windows