publish shares

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

I would like to publish shares to the AD but set the permissions in the way
that only department folders and printers are visible to the user. In other
words, if manufacturing user navigates to the My Network places, he can only
see manufacturing department folder and printer. I would like to have this
across the board for the whole company. Also, I would like to hide built-in
and other sensitive data from non admin users. Please help. Thanks, George

"George" wrote:
> I would like to publish shares to the AD but set the
> permissions in the way
> that only department folders and printers are visible to the
> user. In other
> words, if manufacturing user navigates to the My Network
> places, he can only
> see manufacturing department folder and printer. I would like
> to have this
> across the board for the whole company. Also, I would like to
> hide built-in
> and other sensitive data from non admin users. Please help.
> Thanks, George

Hi,

I am not sure if there is a way to "hide" Shares unless you share
them with the $. Also publishing in Active Directory and having them
show up in My Network Places are two completely different things by
the way. One is DNS and one is NetBios.

How I do it is take away users ability to see "entire Network" with
Group Policies and then just put "network places" that I choose in
their "Net hood" folder on their profile.

Cheers,
Lara

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Active-Directory-publish-shares-ftopict346217.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1087033