Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Antialiasing question...

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics Cards
July 11, 2006 5:15:57 AM

I don't know if this is the best place for my question, but I assume someone here knows the answer...If I am running a game at 1280x1024 is anti-aliasing necessary? Even at 16x I don't see much difference in visuals and I lose quite a bit of fps. Can anyone help clear this up? Thanks so much

More about : antialiasing question

a b Î Nvidia
July 11, 2006 6:02:23 AM

The higher the res, the less AA is needed. This is becuase the monitor has more pixels to draw the lines with. Truthly I can't tell when AA is applied at 1024x768. This is proably due to the fact that I'm to busy trying to kill people, instead of looking at the chain link fence for jaggies...
July 11, 2006 6:13:00 AM

If you can't notice the AA effect then I envy you, so, I am debating whether I should explain it to you. AA smoothes all those lines on polygons that travel close to the vertical or horizontal. If you ever look at the edge of a pole or horizon then you will see the jaggedness even on 1600x1200.

Personally, I find I need 1600x1200 and 4xAA and the lowest AF setting for a game to pass my eye. It's frustrating though, as I will often take these options at the expense of FPS.
Related resources
July 11, 2006 7:30:24 AM

Hold it my friend...you said antialiasing 16X?!?!?!?!?!.........

antialiasing is a tehnique used to smooth the edges of a 3D object so it can appear more realistic.....it usually goes from 2 samples, 4 samples, to 6 samples even....also known as 2x, 4x, 6x,
of course the lower the resolution the more the need for AA, cause the objects are less precise....the higher the resolution the less need for AA...but.......
theoretically it sounds samething like that ...the need for AA has nothing to do with the resolution..the fact that you use less AA at high resolution is obviously as the power of the video sistem is to the limit .....
ideally you should apply more AA when you have a bigger surface ... just like the vertical scan rate.....the story can go on ..but I think we need a new topic for that...

Anisotropic filtering .. (usually goes to 16 samples) is needed when objects are going towards the horizont...(imagine a road going towards horizont)...i`m not going to enter more details cause this is a topic about AA.....

good luck
July 11, 2006 7:52:19 AM

yayayaya :D  i told you ... details are not needed ..... the theory sounds more complex... :D