Intel Conroe build or AMD AM2 build? (both about $1500).

this is driving me insane...i have two build lists, an AM2 list that totals out to about $1500 (w/o monitor) and intel conroe build list that totals to about the same with $316 for the processor (E6600) and about $200 for the mobo (asus)..

which one?!?!?!

the k8l can work with AM2 correct? if i went with the am2 i wouldnt have to change anything for it?
22 answers Last reply
More about intel conroe build build both 1500
  1. Quote:
    this is driving me insane...i have two build lists, an AM2 list that totals out to about $1500 (w/o monitor) and intel conroe build list that totals to about the same with $316 for the processor (E6600) and about $200 for the mobo (asus)..

which one?!?!?!

the k8l can work with AM2 correct? if i went with the am2 i wouldnt have to change anything for it?

:) This is an interesint question, could you publish the parts list. I suspect if the Core 2 is coming out the same as the AM2 system then the AM2 system is not an FX system, if that is the case then wait for benchmarks and make up your mind then --- and upgrading to K8L, based on today's news, means at least 1.5 years out.

My personal take is that the Core 2 is the best option - same price, better performance, lower power. But a future upgrade path without the expense of a new MB is a compelling argument I will grant you that. :)

Upgrading from AM2 to K8L is possible, but you will need to use HTT2.0, and will not be able to take advantage of HTT3.0. There is a good chance the same thing happens with DDR3. If DDR3 signal integrity specs are different than DDR2, you may not be able to take advantage of DDR3 without a new MB.

With Core 2, you will be able to upgrade to the 45nm version using the same motherboard (which would be about 1 year down the road), but you will need a new MB to upgrade to Nahalem (2008 timeframe).
  2. Quote:

which one?!?!?!

CONROE, read the benchmarks on the other thread - the 1.86ghz model aces the highest end AMD's in a conciderable amount of benchmarks, and from what iv read can overclock to 2.5+ghz and ace everything at that speed anyhow, and for that cheap price, WHY THE HELL NOT??!!??!
  3. Easy answer; get the Core 2 Duo! You gotta live in the moment, in a sense, when thinking of computers. Future upgradeablity is a plus for sure, but in a year or so when K8L comes out, there will be more enhancements to hypertransport (and i'm sure other motherboard enhancements), so you have to take that into consideration. For the money and the performance right now, though, Intel's offerings (when Conroe is officially released) will be, for the most part, the better deal irregardless of what Athlon X2 processor you are considering.
  4. The Conroe build
  5. I would go with Conroe as well.
  6. Intel makes enough money. Buy AM2. You can get it TODAY. Not in a few weeks or months.
  7. Easy question. Conroe. Cheaper, higher performance, lower energy consumption, and cooler.
  8. WOW, t3h uber-1337 logic...
  9. I would recommend waiting for another 2 weeks - massive price drops are around the corner for AMD prcocessors and so far most benchmarks I have seen have been hardly objective - there were no suitable motherboards for the Conroe or whatever.

After July 23rd, a E6700 Conroe will be around 530 USD, an AMD X2 5000+ will be around 320 USD - see whether the performance will justify the difference in pricing.

And forget about a real upgrade for the next computer - buy all for the moment and get a new system next time. If you are lucky, you can use some parts in your next processing slave, if not - you will make the hardware manufacturers happy :)
  10. Theres also an E6600 CPU for $316
  11. Quote:
    Intel makes enough money. Buy AM2. You can get it TODAY. Not in a few weeks or months.

Keep crying AMD fanboy. Conroe is a MUCH better value than AM2. And, it's not about how much money Intel makes, it's about the products they make and sell. And Conroe is very good.

@ Hameedo
    Don't listen to BaronMatrix, go with Conroe like everyone said.

You should actually say will be, SINCE YOU CAN'T BUY ONE YET. If he wants to wait fine, if not there is ONLY ONE CHOICE, AM2.
  12. Quote:
    Intel makes enough money. Buy AM2. You can get it TODAY. Not in a few weeks or months.
    Intel has given me no reason to boycott them.

CONROE!!
  13. Quote:
    Intel has given me no reason to boycott them.

CONROE!!

AM2 can be purchased TODAY, Yesterday and even last week. if everyone waited for the latest and greatest, no one would ever buy a PC.
  14. Core 2 Duo. :lol:
  15. Choose performance and choose Core 2 Duo.
  16. $1500 seems like a lot of money without a monitor.

Can we see a list? Perhaps there are some ways that we can suggest to cut a few costs so that the processor is a bit more affordable.(and yes, Intel is overpriced - I'd rather OC a cheaper processor instead)
  17. I'm in exactly the same situation with exactly the same budget. Though I'm thinking of springing a little extra for a 19" or 21" widescreen LCD.

Thing is this is my first DIY system and I want to try AMD. Plus money is tight so new systems are few and far between. Read more about my situation in this thread.... Go with AM2?

Looking for a system with longevity(SP?) for gaming/home entertainment. Plan on buying within the next month or two.

Thanks for any advise to a first time builder.
  18. Quote:

Keep crying AMD fanboy. Conroe is a MUCH better value than AM2. And, it's not about how much money Intel makes, it's about the products they make and sell. And Conroe is very good.

@ Hameedo
    Don't listen to BaronMatrix, go with Conroe like everyone said.

LMAO.
  19. BM you can sh!t all over news threads with your AMD fanboyism but when people want help just STFU.
  20. Quote:

BaronBullshit, eats $hit TODAY, like every day.
    I am dissapointed, I thought that you've learned something and you started to use the brain handling with the reality. Too bad, I was wrong.
  21. Quote:

I am dissapointed, I thought that you've learned something and you started to use the brain handling with the reality. Too bad, I was wrong.

Quiet monkey boy.
    :oops:
  22. Quote:

Quiet monkey boy.
    :oops:
    :roll:
    /me is quiet
    /me is watching how $hits are falling down from BaronBS mouth.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs AMD Intel Build