Server doesn't show up in Network Neighborhood

Ran into a strange problem when installing a network this weekend...I
was hoping someone here could help.

2003 server that was just installed, 10 workstations - 7 of them are
Windows 98 (no Second Edition either). Network was formerly an NT 4
domain. The NT 4 server is still up and running, with DHCP turned off.
The 2003 Server is an AD DC, with DNS and DHCP running.

The first problem cropped up when we couldn't browse Network
Neighborhood. I kept getting MrxSmb errors in the Event log, so I
turned off the master browser on the W98 machines to stop the
elections.

Then I found out that the DNS server wasn't getting dynamically
updated .... hence, no A or PTR records. I fixed that by manually
entering them in, and then credentialing the DHCP server to be able to
do that.

Installed a WINS server, on the Domain Controller.

Then we turned the browser back on on all the W98 machines. Finally
they were able to see the other computers in Network Neighborhood.

.....all except one. The Domain Controller. I can't figure out why
either. Everyone can ping everyone else, using DNS names and NETBIOS
names too. The server is not present in any of the 98 OR XP Pro
machines in Network Neighborhood/My Network Places.

Also, one 98 workstation, when pinging the server by it's NETBIOS
name, comes back with the wrong IP. It says "pinging 192.168.56.45"
instead of "pinging 192.168.56.1". ????

Halp!!!

Mike
4 answers Last reply
More about server doesn show network neighborhood

    Check that NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled under the WINS configuration tab
    of the Advanced TCP/IP properties. If it isn't, enable it.

    Also check that the Computer Browser and NetBIOS over TCP/IP Helper Service
    are running.

    With regards to the incorrect entries in DNS, delete the manually created
    records, force the DC to reregister in DNS (ipconfig /registerdns and
    restart netlogon for good measure) and enable WINS lookups from DNS.
    Scavenge WINS and run a nbtstat -RR on the DC.

    WINS ought to resolve the browser issues.

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/

    Does the dc have an entry on your IP config for the WINS server?

    "Mike Barry" <Addrunt@charter.net> wrote in message

    > Ran into a strange problem when installing a network this weekend...I
    > was hoping someone here could help.
    >
    > 2003 server that was just installed, 10 workstations - 7 of them are
    > Windows 98 (no Second Edition either). Network was formerly an NT 4
    > domain. The NT 4 server is still up and running, with DHCP turned off.
    > The 2003 Server is an AD DC, with DNS and DHCP running.
    >
    > The first problem cropped up when we couldn't browse Network
    > Neighborhood. I kept getting MrxSmb errors in the Event log, so I
    > turned off the master browser on the W98 machines to stop the
    > elections.
    >
    > Then I found out that the DNS server wasn't getting dynamically
    > updated .... hence, no A or PTR records. I fixed that by manually
    > entering them in, and then credentialing the DHCP server to be able to
    > do that.
    >
    > Installed a WINS server, on the Domain Controller.
    >
    > Then we turned the browser back on on all the W98 machines. Finally
    > they were able to see the other computers in Network Neighborhood.
    >
    > ....all except one. The Domain Controller. I can't figure out why
    > either. Everyone can ping everyone else, using DNS names and NETBIOS
    > names too. The server is not present in any of the 98 OR XP Pro
    > machines in Network Neighborhood/My Network Places.
    >
    > Also, one 98 workstation, when pinging the server by it's NETBIOS
    > name, comes back with the wrong IP. It says "pinging 192.168.56.45"
    > instead of "pinging 192.168.56.1". ????
    >
    > Halp!!!
    >
    > Mike

    On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 08:11:52 -0600, "Paul Bergson"
    <pbergson_nospam@allete.com> wrote:

    >Does the dc have an entry on your IP config for the WINS server?

    No, it doesn't. Hmmm..that's odd.

    I did all the things Paul Williams suggested, except for
    deleting the A and PTR records that I created (the office is working
    now, and I'd need to be onsite to do that). Still no server showing
    up in the Network Neighborhood.

    I sure do appreciate you guys helping. :)

    Mike

    Mike,

    Just as an aside, Since you have a 2003 server and 9x clients, you will want
    to turn off SMB signing otherwise you'll not get any share communication
    (through SMB) with the server.

    Have a look at:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325379

    --
    Ryan Hanisco
    MCSE, MCDBA

    "Mike Barry" <Addrunt@charter.net> wrote in message

    > Ran into a strange problem when installing a network this weekend...I
    > was hoping someone here could help.
    >
    > 2003 server that was just installed, 10 workstations - 7 of them are
    > Windows 98 (no Second Edition either). Network was formerly an NT 4
    > domain. The NT 4 server is still up and running, with DHCP turned off.
    > The 2003 Server is an AD DC, with DNS and DHCP running.
    >
    > The first problem cropped up when we couldn't browse Network
    > Neighborhood. I kept getting MrxSmb errors in the Event log, so I
    > turned off the master browser on the W98 machines to stop the
    > elections.
    >
    > Then I found out that the DNS server wasn't getting dynamically
    > updated .... hence, no A or PTR records. I fixed that by manually
    > entering them in, and then credentialing the DHCP server to be able to
    > do that.
    >
    > Installed a WINS server, on the Domain Controller.
    >
    > Then we turned the browser back on on all the W98 machines. Finally
    > they were able to see the other computers in Network Neighborhood.
    >
    > ....all except one. The Domain Controller. I can't figure out why
    > either. Everyone can ping everyone else, using DNS names and NETBIOS
    > names too. The server is not present in any of the 98 OR XP Pro
    > machines in Network Neighborhood/My Network Places.
    >
    > Also, one 98 workstation, when pinging the server by it's NETBIOS
    > name, comes back with the wrong IP. It says "pinging 192.168.56.45"
    > instead of "pinging 192.168.56.1". ????
    >
    > Halp!!!
    >
    > Mike

Servers Active Directory Windows