• No, he's just performing for WallStreet

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Maybe, who cares?

Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Soem interesting news out of Texas as Michael Dell spills the beans about AMD. Here is an excerpt fromthe article.

The tooth-pulling exercise continued as TG Daily pressed Mr. Dell for further details. We asked him to verify that the AMD partnership is a full one, and not just a passing opportunity to have someone else fill the multi-processor performance gap in servers that Intel left open. Mr. Dell gave a long pause, and then gave the clearest signal of the day: "It's a long-term partnership," Dell said, "and we'll have more to say about that, but don't have anything to say about it right now...I think our customers will benefit from the strategy."

Dell and AMD

It would have made sense for Dell to go that way two years ago, but it looks like Intel is going to be dominating the desktop market for at least the next couple of years, so offering AMD at their weakest point instead of the strongest just doesn't make sense.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
It would have made sense for Dell to go that way two years ago, but it looks like Intel is going to be dominating the desktop market for at least the next couple of years, so offering AMD at their weakest point instead of the strongest just doesn't make sense.

they may be faster but it will take awhile to reclaim the sales lead. Dell is speaking like they will be placing X2 in between PD and Core 2, just like I said.

If they can get good mobo/peripheral deals they can easily eat any extra cost for an AM2/S1. AMD doesn't need DRASTIC cuts, just moderate. I don't see the need for more than 20% overall.

How can Dell or any company place P4 over AM2 at any price point?

They have cancelled all single core and several Opterons in order to get more mainstream parts made. How many dual core 65nm chips will come out the same 300mm wafers.

they have a sound strategy and Dell is taking advantage of the popularity of AMD mid range desktops. The only place Intel has a lead is above $1250 and that's because of Dell.

I almost bought a Turion X2 laptop YESTERDAY. I would love to see them in dell laptops. It'll be my first retail Dell purchase.

The one strategy I don't understand is the FX staying at 90nm. it would cost less at 65nm. It actually seems like the dual core may be phased out in favor of a 4 core model.

I think a four core FX at the same price point would give Core 2 Extreme a real run.

Go Dell.

I think P4 and AM2 will be price similarly to one another. Right now Pentium D processors are cheaper than AMD's Athlon X2. After the announced price cuts the X2 CPUs should be priced closer to the Pentium D line. Therefore Dell will most likely price them more or less similar to each other. A person on a budget who knows anything about CPUs will like go for the best bang for the buck whether it's AMD or Intel. Most other people will probably just go with their preferred CPU brand.

they have a sound strategy and Dell is taking advantage of the popularity of AMD mid range desktops. The only place Intel has a lead is above $1250 and that's because of Dell.

Too lazy to confirm or deny this point, but Dell isn't the only company that sells Intel based PCs.

The one strategy I don't understand is the FX staying at 90nm. it would cost less at 65nm. It actually seems like the dual core may be phased out in favor of a 4 core model.

Probably due to relatively low sales compared their other CPUs. Yes, producing 65nm FX CPUs will cost less than 90nm CPUs. But AMD needs to invest in the equipment first to do so; that is a substantial cost to AMD.

Anyone who want's a FX CPU will buy a CPU regardless if it is 65nm or 90nm. Yes, 65nm would be better, but if you have the desire and the money to buy a FX CPU then the die process shouldn't really matter much.

I think a four core FX at the same price point would give Core 2 Extreme a real run.

Yeah, but AMD will need to develop a four core FX at the same price point to begin with.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

I think P4 and AM2 will be price similarly to one another. Right now Pentium D processors are cheaper than AMD's Athlon X2. After the announced price cuts the X2 CPUs should be priced closer to the Pentium D line. Therefore Dell will most likely price them more or less similar to each other. A person on a budget who knows anything about CPUs will like go for the best bang for the buck whether it's AMD or Intel. Most other people will probably just go with their preferred CPU brand.

Too lazy to confirm or deny this point, but Dell isn't the only company that sells Intel based PCs.

Probably due to relatively low sales compared their other CPUs. Yes, producing 65nm FX CPUs will cost less than 90nm CPUs. But AMD needs to invest in the equipment first to do so; that is a substantial cost to AMD.

Anyone who want's a FX CPU will buy a CPU regardless if it is 65nm or 90nm. Yes, 65nm would be better, but if you have the desire and the money to buy a FX CPU then the die process shouldn't really matter much.

Yeah, but AMD will need to develop a four core FX at the same price point to begin with.

dell's internal market research show that between them and AlienWare they have 60% of the high end desktop market. With Dell's numbers higher and ONLY Intel in the boxes, at least 40% of that is Intel.

AMD will be moving to quad core SOON. People are so hyped about K8L they forget that AMD was planning quad core with the intro of K8. It just won't have the extra artillery that K8L will provide FOR THE SERVER.

I would actually move my upgrade up if I could get a quad core 5000+. It would only need to run at 2.2GHz. Clocked at 2.8 8O

They are even talking about 95W TDP for quad core @65nm. That will definitely make up the difference. Clovertown will be in a different league with it's bandwidth needs. A quad will definitely eat up the remaining bandwidth from DDR2 1066+