No access to local machine

We have a Windows 2000 server that is used as a FTP server that customers can
browse to and upload files.

The users have local accounts that no longer function when browsing. The
error from the FTP is "Could not login to the FTP server with the user name
and password specified".

Also users aren't able to connection to the server by logging in with a
local user account. The error received was "Local policy of system does not
permit you to login interactively". However, we were able to login to the
server using a domain username/password.

I thought the problem had to do with the "Log on Locally" setting, but this
made no difference in logging on.

What is causing this login problem? What kind of utilities can be used to
find the login properties of a user? What are the differences between the
local policy and the domain policy?

Thanks,
Jim
1 answer Last reply
More about access local machine

    Jim,

    First off, if this is a domain controller, you will wan to look in the
    domain controller policy to allow log in locally... of course, you would
    never let anyone other than a full admin log into a DC, right?

    If that doesn't work, take a look at the Logon to... button in the user
    properties.

    As to the FTP, make sure that you have set the NTFS permissions on the files
    as well as setting the FTP server settings to allow whatever permissions you
    need (r/w). Finally look at the authentication mode for the FTP instance
    and make sure it is set to query the AD.

    --
    Ryan Hanisco
    MCSE, MCDBA

    "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > We have a Windows 2000 server that is used as a FTP server that customers
    > can
    > browse to and upload files.
    >
    > The users have local accounts that no longer function when browsing. The
    > error from the FTP is "Could not login to the FTP server with the user
    > name
    > and password specified".
    >
    > Also users aren't able to connection to the server by logging in with a
    > local user account. The error received was "Local policy of system does
    > not
    > permit you to login interactively". However, we were able to login to the
    > server using a domain username/password.
    >
    > I thought the problem had to do with the "Log on Locally" setting, but
    > this
    > made no difference in logging on.
    >
    > What is causing this login problem? What kind of utilities can be used to
    > find the login properties of a user? What are the differences between the
    > local policy and the domain policy?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim

Login Servers Windows