DC Unreachable

Joe

Can anyone tell me if this is correct.

I have a server on subnet 1
I have workstations of subnet 1

I have a DC located on subnet 2

The network goes down. Everything on subnet 1 can no longer communicate
with subnet 2. If the users logged into the workstations on subnet 1
are already authenticated, can they still communicate with the server on
the same subnet?

"Joe" <willys_1948@msn.com.remove> wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me if this is correct.
>
> I have a server on subnet 1
> I have workstations of subnet 1
>
> I have a DC located on subnet 2
>
> The network goes down. Everything on subnet 1 can no longer communicate
> with subnet 2.

Sounds like a routing problem.

Can you ping by IP and name, or maybe just
by IP under this condition?

If only name fails then you have a name resolution
problem, but if the IP fails then you have a routing
or other IP/network problem.

How many routers are involved? INCLUDING the router
to your ISP or internet connection....?

If you have 3+ routers, you generally have to add static
routes to the "middle ones".

> If the users logged into the workstations on subnet 1
> are already authenticated, can they still communicate with the server on
> the same subnet?

Maybe.

Joe

In this particular case, the server and workstations are all on one switch
on subnet 1. The dc, dhcp, dns, and wins are all on another switch on
subnet 2.

If my computer cannot reach the dns or wins servers, shouldn't it browse the
local network to try and find the computer name?

> In this particular case, the server and workstations are all on one switch
> on subnet 1. The dc, dhcp, dns, and wins are all on another switch on
> subnet 2.

You said that you have 2 subnets, this implies
at least one router HOP between the sets of clients.

So saying this is all on "one switch" is pretty
non-specific. Is that "switch" acting as a router?

If not, how is it two subnets? (it is JUST possible
but highly unusual to have two subnets on one
broadcast domain.)

> If my computer cannot reach the dns or wins servers, shouldn't it browse
the
> local network to try and find the computer name?

Browsing is largely a NetBIOS and broadcast issue --
it will NOT work correctly across a router without some
help such as WINS server so that the Master Browsers
can find and exchange with the Domain master browser.

Joe

Sorry... I didn't specify that there was a router between the two switches.
I did specify that the file server and workstation are on one switch and the
dc, dhcp, wins, dns are on another switch. 2 switched total.

Switch 1 - file server and workstations
Switch 2 - dc, dhcp, dns, wins

The two switches are connected via router.

The netbios broadcast should work from workstation to file server on switch
one if the router fails shouldn't it?

> Sorry... I didn't specify that there was a router between the two
switches.
> I did specify that the file server and workstation are on one switch and
the
> dc, dhcp, wins, dns are on another switch. 2 switched total.
>
> Switch 1 - file server and workstations
> Switch 2 - dc, dhcp, dns, wins
>
> The two switches are connected via router.

And the switches are NOT themselves routers?

How about a Router to the Internet? Do you have
internet connectivity? How?

If you do you have the three router case:

ISP-router --- YourINetRouter --- InternalRouter

In this case, the router in the middle will need a manual
route to reach the network to the RIGHT of the InternalRouter,
and any stations between those two (right-most) routers
will need them too, for most efficient network usage.

> The netbios broadcast should work from workstation to file server on
switch
> one if the router fails shouldn't it?

Broadcasts will cross a Layer-2 (bridge-type) switch but
not a Layer3 (router type) switch or a separate router.

If you have a Router WITHIN your network you need
WINS Server for browsing even if that is not a part
of the problem you were originally seeking to correct.