harrydon

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I saw this drive. 73GB, 15K RPM (Raptor is 10K), for only $119. Sounds a good deal to me. My question is, has anyone used this drive before? Is it faster than Raptor? Is it noisy? My Dell Precision 670 workstation has an onboard SCSI controller. I'm thinking about upgrade my current 80GB SATA drive to either Raptor or a SCSI drive. Thanks.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
It seems like a good deal. It will be faster than a Raptor, as it rotates at 15,000 RPM, rather than 10,000. Because it spins faster, it will probably be noisier.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I've used these drives in the MAS147NP family. They are a little loud, but work great. They will be fast in consistent data and much faster boot than the Raptor. Those drives are NC, and that also means they will need a converter to adapt the power to 68 pin configuration to work with most all internal controller cards. What type of controller does your workstation have on it? Are you sure is a 320 controller?

If you looking to start small with reliability I like these, they are 80 pin as well, but are a much cheaper, smaller and still spin at 15k. Seagate 36gb drives. They make a great OS raid0 setup.

harrydon

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Thanks for the info. Yeah, my onboard SCSI controller is U320. I read in another forum yesterday that these recertified Seagate drives have a high RMA rate. Did you use them before? I think I'd better use new drives. Plus, 36GB is a little small for me.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I have never needed to RMA Seagate recertified drive before, but I'm probably just lucky then. 36gb is small, but I use them for my OS, and use my two Fujitus for storage and apps. New SCSI drives can be very expensive, espically 68 pin drives. The Fujitsu MAS series runs hot a loud, the MAP series is their best drive out there with a better dynamic fluid bearing, either way they are both fast. Just be wary of the 80pin SCA2 to 68pin Converter, they are very need to finicky and fragile. Also don't stack them then, leave some space where they can get airflow over each side of them.