Newbie - Domain controller require DNS and DHCP?

We have a workgroup of 9 Dell PCs running Windows XP Pro but I'd prefer to
run under a domain environment for authentication and file and print
sharing. I'm experimenting at the moment, so I've reformatted one of those
PCs and loaded Windows 2000 Server. Using the Domain Wizzard, I noticed
that DHCP and DNS services were installed. Below is my setup:

Static IP Address

Wireless Router----WindowsXP Clients

Windows 2000 Server

1) Since all PCs and the server is connected to my router (NAT), do I need
DHCP running on the server?
2) Does the server require DNS service enabled?
3) The domain name is not a registered domain name. In the sample that I
looked at Reskit.com was used. I'd probably want a domain named Server01
for example. Is this OK?
4) Is the configuration above OK or are there some problems that I should be
aware of?

Thank you for your assistance.

--

ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com
3 answers Last reply

    > 1) Since all PCs and the server is connected to my router (NAT), do I need
    > DHCP running on the server?

    You don't *need* DHCP but if you don't use it you will have to manually give
    each computer an IP address, subnet mask, DNS servers, and a default
    gateway. You routers NAT has nothing to do with this.

    > 2) Does the server require DNS service enabled?

    If you are using Active Directory you MUST have a DNS server for the AD
    domain.
    See:
    Best Practices for DNS Client settings in Windows 2000 server and in Windows
    Server 2003

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825036

    Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675

    How to configure DNS for Internet access in Windows 2000

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202

    > 3) The domain name is not a registered domain name. In the sample that I
    > looked at Reskit.com was used. I'd probably want a domain named Server01
    > for example. Is this OK?

    You will definitely want to do away with a single label domain name. Use
    Server01.local or Server01.pri.

    Here is a link to the "extra" stuff you have to deal with using a single
    label domain name.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300684

    > 4) Is the configuration above OK or are there some problems that I should
    > be aware of?

    See above.

    hth

    DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

    "Fern" <fernie@docsignings.net> wrote in message
    > We have a workgroup of 9 Dell PCs running Windows XP Pro but I'd prefer to
    > run under a domain environment for authentication and file and print
    > sharing. I'm experimenting at the moment, so I've reformatted one of
    > those PCs and loaded Windows 2000 Server. Using the Domain Wizzard, I
    > noticed that DHCP and DNS services were installed. Below is my setup:
    >
    > Static IP Address
    > |
    > Wireless Router----WindowsXP Clients
    > |
    > Windows 2000 Server
    >
    > 1) Since all PCs and the server is connected to my router (NAT), do I need
    > DHCP running on the server?
    > 2) Does the server require DNS service enabled?
    > 3) The domain name is not a registered domain name. In the sample that I
    > looked at Reskit.com was used. I'd probably want a domain named Server01
    > for example. Is this OK?
    > 4) Is the configuration above OK or are there some problems that I should
    > be aware of?
    >
    > Thank you for your assistance.
    >

    > --
    >

    > ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader!
    > http://www.atozedsoftware.com

    No, but it is fairly command.

    DNS is a practical requirement for Active Directory;
    even though it is not required to be "on" the DC that
    is the most common configuraton and in practical terms
    almost always the "right answer" for DNS to support
    AD.

    "Fern" <fernie@docsignings.net> wrote in message
    > We have a workgroup of 9 Dell PCs running Windows XP Pro but I'd prefer to
    > run under a domain environment for authentication and file and print
    > sharing. I'm experimenting at the moment, so I've reformatted one of
    those
    > PCs and loaded Windows 2000 Server. Using the Domain Wizzard, I noticed
    > that DHCP and DNS services were installed. Below is my setup:
    >
    > Static IP Address
    > |
    > Wireless Router----WindowsXP Clients
    > |
    > Windows 2000 Server
    >
    > 1) Since all PCs and the server is connected to my router (NAT), do I need
    > DHCP running on the server?

    Only if you wish your Windows server to provide IP
    addresses AND you can disable this feature of your NAT.

    It is NOT a requirement of AD, but it might give you more
    flexibility (most routers/NAT only provide limited DHCP
    options as compared to the Windows DHCP server.)

    > 2) Does the server require DNS service enabled?

    Yes. (Not necessarily "on" the DC but that is the best place.)

    AD require not just DNS, but DYNAMIC DNS -- i.e., the
    ability for the machines, especially the DC to register its
    own records.

    > 3) The domain name is not a registered domain name. In the sample that I
    > looked at Reskit.com was used. I'd probably want a domain named Server01
    > for example. Is this OK?

    No. Server01 sounds like a SERVER name not a
    Active Directory domain/zone and you want AT LEAST
    two labels in any AD name: example.local (not example)

    The server would be something like server01.example.local
    with the domain being the last two tags.

    Also, do NOT use a "registerable" name unless you own it.
    (e.g., don't use Reskit.com or Microsoft.com or anything that
    ever CAN be registered on the Internet unless you purchase
    it and maintain the name.)

    > 4) Is the configuration above OK or are there some problems that I should
    be
    > aware of?

    Pick a name like: YourName.Local BusinessName.Local
    for the zone and domain name.

    Run DNS internally on your DC (and you really should
    have a backup, either two DCs or regular tape backups.)

    Here are my general DNS recomendations for AD:

    1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
    2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
    that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
    3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2
    4) If you have more than one Domain, every DNS server must
    be able to resolve ALL domains (either directly or indirectly)

    netdiag /fix

    ....or maybe:

    dcdiag /fix

    (Win2003 can do this from Support tools):
    nltest /dsregdns /server:DC-ServerNameGoesHere
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q260371/

    Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
    servers for that (internal) zone/domain.

    Also useful may be running DCDiag on each DC, sending the
    output to a text file, and searching for FAIL, ERROR, WARN.

    Single Label domain zone names are a problem Google:
    [ "SINGLE LABEL" domain names DNS 2000 | 2003 microsoft: ]

    Danny & Herb,

    Thank you very much for your comments and providing links.

    Best Regards,

    Fernster

    --

    ELKNews FREE Edition - Empower your News Reader! http://www.atozedsoftware.com