Multiple names for one server

I plan to migrate 7 novell servers to one win 2003 server. The problem I
have is that some people reference names of servers in there apps and
scripts.
Is there a way to setup a windows 2003 server and assign multiple names to it?
This way the apps and scripts would think that the original server exists
but it really point to a single server.

"Mark Nagie" <MarkNagie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I plan to migrate 7 novell servers to one win 2003 server. The problem I
> have is that some people reference names of servers in there apps and
> scripts.

Yes, but it may not work for all services.

There seem to be some problems with such
for SMB (file and print) services.

But notice, that from either a purely DNS or
purely NetBIOS perspective that multiple names
are a common practice even if some services
may not perform well under this scenario.

All NetBIOS machines have MANY names (but
they follow a few patterns in most ordinary cases.)

As many DNS names as you wish may be added into
into as many zones as you wish, all resolving to the
same IP. This is entirely normal for Web servers
that handle multiple sites.

> Is there a way to setup a windows 2003 server and assign multiple names to
it?

What services?

(It's more of a service issue, than a server, i.e., machine
issue, or even a name issue directly.)

> This way the apps and scripts would think that the original server exists
> but it really point to a single server.

A couple of these things, like the SMB issue, can be 'fixed' with some
registry changes. However, these aliases usually don't work with Kerberos.

Look for information on disableStrictNameChecking and OptionalNames.

Here's a couple of links:
-- http://www.msresource.net/content/view/16/47/
-- http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281308
-- http://x220.minasi.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12876