Ok here it goes...

Building a brand new PC... Here are the specs
MSI K9N Platnium mobo
Athlon 64 X2 4200+
2GB OCZ Gold 677Mhz Ram
BFG GeForce 7900 256MB OC VCard
600 Watt OCZ Power Supply
x2 Western Digital 10k RPM 74GB SATA Raptor HD's

Problem - I'm currently attempting to install windows. BIOS recognizes BOTH of the harddrives listed as SATA Channel 0 Primary and Secondary. I went in and striped the hardrives using the utility that came on the motherboard. It lists the raiding as healthy.

I put in the xp cd, press F6 when it tells me, insert the floppy disk, load the nvidia RAID Class Driver and the storage controller just fine.. press enter... it gets to the point where it asks you to press enter to setup windows on a new volume or repair.. i press enter... no hard drives detected.... AHHH help!!!!!!!!!!!

More about : raiding 10k rpm sata

July 11, 2006 3:46:10 PM

Id call microsoft i didnt have a problem loading mine sorry!
July 11, 2006 4:08:48 PM

So you think its a problem with the windows CD possibly?

I of course, am now bald due to this quandry :oops:  8O
Related resources
July 11, 2006 4:33:13 PM

Nope, it's a problem with the drivers for the raid controller.
July 11, 2006 5:05:13 PM

Do a normal install without the F6 drivers stuff: you don't need them at all since you set up an hardware RAID array that is totally trasparent to XP and other OS.
July 11, 2006 6:21:10 PM

Not true. Sometimes SATA controllers will be recognized as a regular IDE controller [sometimes they are recognized as scsi controllers and require a driver too] but I know of no raid controller that will do that, yet.

Give a try and see if it works, you never know.
July 11, 2006 6:47:40 PM

Not with that mobo, and no problem at all also with SCSI controllers if they implemente true hardware RAID.
July 11, 2006 6:54:25 PM

1. Get a new version of that RAID driver

2. Try tweaking the Boot settings in the BIOS. It might need to be modified to be detected.
July 11, 2006 7:09:09 PM

Quote:
Not with that mobo, and no problem at all also with SCSI controllers if they implemente true hardware RAID.

I'll take your word for it, but I've never once seen it work that way in other OS's. Not tried it in XP admittedly since I've never set up RAID in XP, but I have with w2k3 and it too requires drivers, at least it did for the controllers I've used which are hardware controllers.

IRT topic, try it without F6 and see if it works, like I said above, you never know.
July 11, 2006 7:18:19 PM

agreed, every RAID I set up in Win2K and WinXP as a boot drive required me to use the F6 option and insert a RAID driver floppy to complete...
Including the PC I am posting from...

Now if not RAID'ng drives, some chipsets support SATA natively and do not require a driver disk...
July 11, 2006 8:47:58 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry, that's not correct. He is using the on-board nvRAID and the manual for the motherboard (available here) explicitly details having to "F6" install the drivers.

I have installed Windows on many-a-RAID controllers (old and new, fake and actual hardware) and I haven't seen one that didn't require a "F6" driver install for Windows.

As for not being seen in the Windows Install phuwalt, make sure to closely follow the instructions in the motherboard's manual, I have yet to see them not work.
!