Microsoft Licensing

Hi,
I see many event like this on one of my DC (Windows
2000 Server):

--------
Source: LicenseService
Event ID: 202
The Product Windows Server is out of licenses. Use License
Manager from the Administrative Tools folder for more
information on wich users are out of compliance and how
many licenses should be purchased.
-------

I went in the License Manager and at Windows Server i have
0 Per Seat Purchased and 753 Per Seat Allocated.

It only appear on this DC, other are fine.... i didn't
heard of anyone having difficulty to log on or anything
like that. Every pc that log on into the network are
windows 2000 or windows XP so i suppose i don't need to
buy them license....

On the Client by seat tabs i have many entry that dated
from 2 or 3 years ago and come from old DOMAIN, is that
normal, i have to revoke them manually?

thanks to help me... i'm really lost in what i should
do....

Hi Guillaume,

I understand you have noticed Event ID 202 indicate that the server is out
of license on your Win2k DC.

Based on my research, this Event could be logged into the Application log
could be caused by:

A. License Logging service is running
==============================
It is possible that License Logging service record the incorrect entry in
the system. Please try to disable the License Logging service by using the
steps below:
1. Click Start->Run->"services.msc"
2. Set License Logging service start manually and disable it.
Disabling License logging service does not disable any functions of
applications. But it does not keep track of your license usage. Even if
you
do not have enough licenses, OS will not generate any Event logs.
B. Add new license
================
This Event has indicated that you do not have enough licenses for W2K
server usage.
Licensing Manager will tell you how many licenses are available and used
after you click on Product View Tab. Please use the following steps to add
new license by using the steps below:

To add more licenses, Administrative tool -> Licensing -> License from the
Menu -> New License

Please know that you have to purchase more licenses. While you are waiting
for new licenses, you can add more licenses.

With regards to the old license issued by the original server, it is OK to
just leave them there or you revoke them manually.

Further questions, let us get in touch!

Best regards,

Rebecca Chen

MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Hi Guillaume,

Based on my further research, one workaround to help you delete all cert
issued by the original DC is to reset the License Manager information,
however, please know reset the License manager will clear ALL license in
the license manager. For more details, please refer to the following
article:

How to reset License Manager information:

;153140]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;[LN];153140

How to Reset License Manager Throughout an Enterprise: