Upgrade disk content

SiDE

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
If I get Win 7 Professional Upgrade disk, does it contain the other versions of the OS as well? Or is specific to whatever version you get? For example, with my Win 7 Profession Upgrade disk I want to upgrade my sister's Home Basic laptop to Win 7 Starter/Home Premium and my parent's Home Premium to Win 7 Home Premium. Would I be able to this with my one disk?

Would I be able to use a Full version of Win 7 to upgrade any exiting computer using their Keys?

Solution

Correct, you cannot upgrade to anything except Win7 Professional with your disc. You also cannot use it on multiple computers.

Sounds to me like you guys need the Windows 7 family pack..

Correct, you cannot upgrade to anything except Win7 Professional with your disc. You also cannot use it on multiple computers.

Sounds to me like you guys need the Windows 7 family pack..

Solution

SiDE

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
This my first time to upgrade if I still do... What happens to the Key from the previous OS? I thought that the Upgrade disk uses that Key and just load the upgraded OS from the disk.

Am I still right to say that you can install any version of Win 7 from a Full/Retail/OEM disk as long as you have some Win 7 Key?

I'll repeat this slowly: The Retail/OEM disc contains only ONE version of Win7. In your case, Win7 Professional. You can't use it to upgrade someone else's PC to Home Premium or ANY other version except Professional, it's like asking your dog to have kittens. That's why Microsoft are selling upgrade media to go from one Win7 version to another.