JoeB

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2003

Under the System Properties screen I notice the 'System
Restore' box is not checked. I've never used system
restore, but for future reference should the box be
checked? Thanks.

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 09:26:51 -0700, JoeB wrote:

> Under the System Properties screen I notice the 'System
> Restore' box is not checked. I've never used system
> restore, but for future reference should the box be
> checked? Thanks.

If you want to use the feature, yes. System Restore is handy for those
"oops" situations where you wish you could "rollback" a few hours or few
days.

The corresponding Services (listings for these can be found in
services.msc) must be enabled as well and there should be at least 200MB
free on the hard drive that is to be monitored. Also may want to go one
level deeper in the System Restore settings and reduce the amount of disk
space allowed for the tool. Minimum setting will provide at least 3 restore
points on most systems and possibly more. I usually set this to a value
greater than 200MB but less than 1GB and end up with a good amount of
restore points to choose from.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

I uncheck my data drives and only use Restore on the C: drive. That can
save some time also.

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 13:26:46 -0600, Colin Barnhorst wrote:

> I uncheck my data drives and only use Restore on the C: drive. That can
> save some time also.

Good point about being selective on which drives to monitor. I do the same
thing - monitor C: only (the partition that XP is installed on).

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Sure. Data files are affected by System Restore anyway.

In news:OJpNEKMqEHA.3728@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst@msn.com> typed:

> Sure. Data files are affected by System Restore anyway.

A typo, I presume. I think you meant *unaffected."

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 13:26:46 -0600, Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>>
>>> I uncheck my data drives and only use Restore on the C:
>>> drive. That can save some time also.
>>>

>> Good point about being selective on which drives to monitor. I
>> do
>> the same thing - monitor C: only (the partition that XP is
>> installed
>> on).
>> --
>> Sharon F
>> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Correct. I meant "unaffected". Thanks.

> In news:OJpNEKMqEHA.3728@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
> Colin Barnhorst <colinbarharst@msn.com> typed:
>
>> Sure. Data files are affected by System Restore anyway.
>

> A typo, I presume. I think you meant *unaffected."

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

>> "Sharon F" <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message

>>> Good point about being selective on which drives to monitor. I do
>>> the same thing - monitor C: only (the partition that XP is installed
>>> on).
>>> --
>>> Sharon F
>>> MS-MVP ~ Windows XP Shell/User

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

That would turn off system restore. I don't think you want to do that.