Sign in with
Your question

x850 pro vs. 6600

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 11, 2006 4:43:35 PM

How much of a butt-kicking would a x850 pro do to a 6600?

$140.00 is a good price for a x850 pro but alas is it worth the $140.00 or not. My previous posts show me overclocking my 6600 but it still just sucks.

More about : x850 pro 6600

July 11, 2006 4:44:57 PM

X850Pro kills a 6600 big time. A good upgrade if you're on AGP. If you're on PCI-E, then 7600GT for a few more $$ is better.
July 11, 2006 4:48:54 PM

I'm just sorta weary about ATI because I was disappointed in my 9800pro a few years ago.

x850pro still seems to choke in OpenGL and no SM 3.0 in use, which I don't know what that is other than AoE III looks purty.

Plus my friend got a new laptop with a x1400 mobile and well games run like super-shit on his machine... :( !
Related resources
July 11, 2006 4:58:12 PM

um thats cuz teh x1400 is like a 9600..or even a 9200...the x1600 is basicly a 9800pro with SM3.0
a b U Graphics card
July 11, 2006 5:06:37 PM

Quote:

x850pro still seems to choke in OpenGL and no SM 3.0 in use, which I don't know what that is other than AoE III looks purty.

Well a GF6800GS/GT would be better for those neds IMO, but none I've seen for that price recently (except off ebay).

Quote:
Plus my friend got a new laptop with a x1400 mobile and well games run like super-**** on his machine... :( !

As was mentioned, the X1400 isn't a great card for gaming, sure it's capable of running games at very low settings, and would likely match a plain GF6600, but it's not an 'impressive' card by gaming standards, although would be a solid 2D/Video card, which is why it's great for laptops, since most see more DVDs than games.
July 11, 2006 5:09:44 PM

Well SM 3.0 is supported that much and OpenGL is no big deal because the x850pro outperforms the 6600 in that regard anyway.

Plus my Fata1ity FS-V7 will fit it w00t

I think I will order it.

It seems to spank the 6600 series.
July 11, 2006 5:22:05 PM

Also note that if you get an AGP version of the X850Pro, you normally can unlock them to get the full 16 pipes which basically gives you @ 140$ X850XT/ XT PE, but if you got PCI-e well it's still a great buy but with less"potential"..
The only thing to look for to be sure that It's unlockable (again if you get yourself an AGP version) is the yellow VIVO plug on the card which confirms that it has potential to be unlocked.. I've done it numerous times and still get a kick out of it since your getting a great card for little money. Also as it was mentionned, SM3.0 isn't supported, but in fact unless you get really high end cards, SM3.0 will only give you reduced performance when SM3.0 features are enabled. My 2 cents.
July 11, 2006 5:56:59 PM

You can pick up an arctic cooling HSF for the x850 for 20 bucks right now on newegg that supposedly will allow you to OC quite a bit and keep it cooler than stock. An OC'ed x850 for $160 with the aftermarket fan could put you at or better than 7600GT levels just with no SM3.0.

I have that cooler on my x800 pro and its OC'ed from 450/450 to 550/550 with cooler temps than with the stock cooler :D 
July 12, 2006 2:42:53 AM

The X850 pro at ATI's website has "VIVO" listed as a feature. Yes it will be AGP. I am looking forward to purchasing it because it is unlockable and I have a Zalman Fata1ity VGA cooler that works great with this card.

I am not going to get a PCI-E system until late next year so I will get this x850 pro.

Thanks everyone for input!
July 12, 2006 2:43:50 AM

How do you unlock the extra pipelines. I can read about it online but you've done it a lot so you know the secrets.

Thanks
July 12, 2006 1:21:18 PM

Hey, ok then this is really simple, i won't take the credit for it since a nice How-to was done about it, which is how i got it done each time.. here's the link:
X850Pro Flash

In there you'll find the steps you have to take to achieve this.
Since you never did this, just to let you know it's about as easy as flashing a Bios on a computer...The only thing i would recomend is maybe getting a Artic cooling ATI silencer 5 for you card since you will gain considerable clock speeds and the stock HSF isn't all that great.

ATI Silencer 5 Rev.2

If you need any help PM me.
July 12, 2006 4:57:03 PM

That sounds too easy. Cool.

I have a Zalman Fata1ity cooler that will go on the x850pro because I know how crappy stock coolers are.

Thanks for the tip mang!
July 12, 2006 5:21:38 PM

x859pro beats the 6600 to pulp, beats it with a dead horse
July 12, 2006 5:44:19 PM

Quote:
I have a Zalman Fata1ity cooler that will go on the x850pro because I know how crappy stock coolers are.

Cool then, the only thing you have to make sure is that the Ram gets plenty of cooling trough your HSF or using RAM sinks because the added speeds will stress them significantly more, and also i would recommend to go with the XT BIOS mod VS the XT PE one since the stock speeds are higher and it will set your card at those speeds from the get go. after that you will be able to go in an OC your card at will using Atitool. Also i'd like to point out that on one of my attempts to do this, i had correctly Flash the Bios from an Pro to an XT to get the extra 4 pipes, but had to revert to the Pro Bios because there was a problem with the fan which in turn wouldn't run at all!! But, this was not all in vain since even after re-flashing the card to the Pro Bios, it still had the extra 4 pipes unlocked since the second time i flashed it, i didn't "force" the flash so not all of the old Bios data went back, including the data contain the info about the unlocked pipes. Also right after flashing the card to the new Bios, make sure that the fan is still running because as i said quite often the fan will be running a really low speeds. But if your HSF is runnig off a molex connector directly off the PSU then dont even bother with it.
!