Invalid name space on DC

Rixter

On one of our 2003 DCs I'm getting "Invalid namespace" coming up. It
occurs when I run RSoP. Also if I access Help & Support / Advanced
System Configuration / View Group Policy Settings Applied.

I've run gpupdate /force. I'm not getting any DNS errors. I'm at a loss
on how to fix.

Help?!

"Rixter" <rliang@methanex.com> wrote in message
> On one of our 2003 DCs I'm getting "Invalid namespace" coming up. It
> occurs when I run RSoP. Also if I access Help & Support / Advanced
> System Configuration / View Group Policy Settings Applied.

Is that the ENTIRE warning or error?
(If not you might wish to be more specific.)

Or you might search Google thus:

[ rsop "invalid namespace" site:microsoft.com ]

(I am being called to dinner so I don't have time to see
what comes up and refine the search right at the moment
but thought you might wish a head start IF this helps you.)

> I've run gpupdate /force. I'm not getting any DNS errors. I'm at a loss
> on how to fix.

Rixter

Herb,
I've searched all over and can't find any articles that help.
Thanks
Ric

> Herb,
> I've searched all over and can't find any articles that help.

I asked for the "Entire warning" and precise conditions and
error messages (which I will need if I am going to try to search for
it.)

> Rixter wrote:
> > On one of our 2003 DCs I'm getting "Invalid namespace" coming up. It
> > occurs when I run RSoP. Also if I access Help & Support / Advanced
> > System Configuration / View Group Policy Settings Applied.
> >
> > I've run gpupdate /force. I'm not getting any DNS errors. I'm at a
> loss
> > on how to fix.

Since a DNS problem is implied I would suggest checking
those settings/setup, especially to make sure your DCs and
clients are properly set to use STRICTLY INTERNAL DNS
server settings.

DNS for AD
1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2
4) If you have more than one Domain, every DNS server must
be able to resolve ALL domains (either directly or indirectly)

netdiag /fix

....or maybe:

dcdiag /fix

(Win2003 can do this from Support tools):
nltest /dsregdns /server:DC-ServerNameGoesHere
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q260371/

Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
servers for that (internal) zone/domain.

Also useful may be running DCDiag on each DC, sending the
output to a text file, and searching for FAIL, ERROR, WARN.

Single Label domain zone names are a problem Google:
[ "SINGLE LABEL" domain names DNS 2000 | 2003 microsoft: ]