Moving OUs within same domain - GPOs affected

I have a top level OU called "All Users". Within this there are about 20 sub
OUs. I want to move all the sub OUs to within a new top level OU - call it
"New OU" but a lot of the sub OUs being moved have group policies linked to
them.

Can I safely move the sub OUs one at a time without the GPOs being affected
? The GPOs are just used to restrict user destops and deploy logon scripts.
Are there any issues to watch out for ?

Thanks for any help.
2 answers Last reply
More about moving domain gpos affected

    "IainM" <IainM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a top level OU called "All Users". Within this there are about 20
    sub
    > OUs. I want to move all the sub OUs to within a new top level OU - call it
    > "New OU" but a lot of the sub OUs being moved have group policies linked
    > them.
    >
    > Can I safely move the sub OUs one at a time without the GPOs being
    affected
    > ? The GPOs are just used to restrict user destops and deploy logon
    scripts.
    > Are there any issues to watch out for ?

    Sure.

    If the linkage is to a specific OU then it will
    continue (linked).

    Moving will only affect 'application' of GPO
    if you remove an OU from below where the GPO
    is linked, or for those other GPOs below one which
    is move and which has the linkage.

    Of course, changing the parent-child relationship
    changes the inheritance, but it does not affect actual
    linkage.

    Thanks for the reply, especially since it was what I was wanting to hear :)

    Iain

    "Herb Martin" wrote:

    > "IainM" <IainM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a top level OU called "All Users". Within this there are about 20
    > sub
    > > OUs. I want to move all the sub OUs to within a new top level OU - call it
    > > "New OU" but a lot of the sub OUs being moved have group policies linked
    > > them.
    > >
    > > Can I safely move the sub OUs one at a time without the GPOs being
    > affected
    > > ? The GPOs are just used to restrict user destops and deploy logon
    > scripts.
    > > Are there any issues to watch out for ?
    >
    > Sure.
    >
    > If the linkage is to a specific OU then it will
    > continue (linked).
    >
    > Moving will only affect 'application' of GPO
    > if you remove an OU from below where the GPO
    > is linked, or for those other GPOs below one which
    > is move and which has the linkage.
    >
    > Of course, changing the parent-child relationship
    > changes the inheritance, but it does not affect actual
    > linkage.

Domain Microsoft Active Directory Windows