Scanner/Fax machine to go with Printer

I have an HP laser printer(That I like and intend to keep), and only
need a scanner/fax machine. I would like to also use the parallel port
via some sort of pass-through.

Can anyone give me advice on what is the best scanner(with fax
capability) for this purpose?

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Just about any scanner has fax capability if you buy a Fax software
program and you have either a modem, DSL or Cable connection to the
internet.

You can buy a USB2 card real cheap. I like my Epson 4180 scanner.
Epson scanners seem to be rated higher than most of the other brands.

measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Just about any scanner has fax capability if you buy a Fax software
> program and you have either a modem, DSL or Cable connection to the
> internet.

However, depending on whether you want a scanner and send an
occasional FAX or you want a FAX and need to scan occasionally you may
need entirely different things.

A scanner (at least most of the ones at a reasonable price) will only
scan one sheet of paper at a time, sending a multi-sheet FAX from a
scanner is a pain in the proverbial. It will however produce
excellent single page copies and scans.

Even very cheap FAX machines usually have a sheet feeder which will
feed at least ten sheets and this makes sending a FAX much simpler.
Some (most nowadays) will also provide copying facilities and again
this is often much better than a scanner because you can copy several
sheets without loading each one individually into the scanner.
However the copy quality probably won't be as good as a dedicated
scanner.

Finally a dedicated FAX will receive FAXes even when your PC is turned
off.

My experience is that my scanner is almost redundant now I have an
all-in-one that provides my FAX/Copier functions. The only thing I
use the scanner for is slide printing (it has a slide copier
attachment) and copying photographs where I only have a print.

--
Chris Green

usenet@isbd.co.uk wrote:
> measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Just about any scanner has fax capability if you buy a Fax software

> > program and you have either a modem, DSL or Cable connection to the

> > internet.
> >
> However, depending on whether you want a scanner and send an
> occasional FAX or you want a FAX and need to scan occasionally you
may
> need entirely different things.
>
> A scanner (at least most of the ones at a reasonable price) will only
> scan one sheet of paper at a time, sending a multi-sheet FAX from a
> scanner is a pain in the proverbial. It will however produce
> excellent single page copies and scans.
>
> Even very cheap FAX machines usually have a sheet feeder which will
> feed at least ten sheets and this makes sending a FAX much simpler.
> Some (most nowadays) will also provide copying facilities and again
> this is often much better than a scanner because you can copy several
> sheets without loading each one individually into the scanner.
> However the copy quality probably won't be as good as a dedicated
> scanner.
>
> Finally a dedicated FAX will receive FAXes even when your PC is
turned
> off.
>
> My experience is that my scanner is almost redundant now I have an
> all-in-one that provides my FAX/Copier functions. The only thing I
> use the scanner for is slide printing (it has a slide copier
> attachment) and copying photographs where I only have a print.

Thanks.

To clarify. A color flatbed that I can get the *best* quality from, yet
still use via my parallel port without it interferring with my printer,
which is also attached to my parallel port.

The reason why I need one is just for a fax I have to send to my work
office once a week. But it would also be nice to be able to use it to
get the best color scans I can get.(I won't be receiveing faxes, and
already have my printer for printing).

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
> To clarify. A color flatbed that I can get the *best* quality from, yet
> still use via my parallel port without it interferring with my printer,
> which is also attached to my parallel port.

I don't think there are many parallel port scanners around nowadays,
most are USB with some more expensive ones being SCSI.

--
Chris Green

usenet@isbd.co.uk wrote:
> Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
> > To clarify. A color flatbed that I can get the *best* quality from,
yet
> > still use via my parallel port without it interferring with my
printer,
> > which is also attached to my parallel port.
> >
> I don't think there are many parallel port scanners around nowadays,
> most are USB with some more expensive ones being SCSI.

Yes, I know.

I already have four USB devices and two USB ports. I do have an empty
connector on my SCSI cable, but these things are some flaky a SCSI
scanner probably would not work anyway.

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.