Publishing Printers

My server is currently WIN2000 and I recently added a printer and shared it
and set it to be listed in the directory. My first time publishing a
printer as I am migrating from Netware.

I can't find the printer in AD unless I invoke Advanced Features in the MMC
and use the "FIND" dialog. I then immediately come up with the published
printer. My question is where do I locate any published printer in Active
Directory by walking the tree?? In Netware, all leaf objects are listed
under each OU but I have found no equivelent capability in AD so far.

daveM

"dave Admin" <dmackler@mds.acsol.net> wrote in message
> My server is currently WIN2000 and I recently added a printer and shared
it
> and set it to be listed in the directory. My first time publishing a
> printer as I am migrating from Netware.
>
> I can't find the printer in AD unless I invoke Advanced Features in the
MMC
> and use the "FIND" dialog. I then immediately come up with the published
> printer. My question is where do I locate any published printer in Active
> Directory by walking the tree?? In Netware, all leaf objects are listed
> under each OU but I have found no equivelent capability in AD so far.

Actually it SHOULD be listed under the OU
in which you published it (I believe), but Publishing
such resources leaves much to be desired and most
of use continue to use Network Neighborhood and
Browsing.

You will need (to keep) NetBIOS enabled on each
machine, and you will need WINS Server(s) if you
have more than one subnet.

Many other things are dependent on NetBIOS and with
a few machines on one subnet, or with WINS Servers
this is not a great issue on a network.

In news:%23pEacmJMFHA.1096@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
dave Admin <dmackler@mds.acsol.net> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> My server is currently WIN2000 and I recently added a
> printer and shared it and set it to be listed in the
> directory. My first time publishing a printer as I am
> migrating from Netware.
>
> I can't find the printer in AD unless I invoke Advanced
> Features in the MMC and use the "FIND" dialog. I then
> immediately come up with the published printer. My
> question is where do I locate any published printer in
> Active Directory by walking the tree?? In Netware, all
> leaf objects are listed under each OU but I have found no
> equivelent capability in AD so far.
>
> daveM

Mine had the same behavior, if you use find to find it, then right click on
it and select move to move it to an OU, you will see it.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Hi!

Open ADUC, in menu select View - > Users, Groups, and Computers as
containers, locate computer on which the printer is located -> printers are
"hidden" under this computer object (however, they are visible only as items
in the right pane, not as nodes in left tree pane).

R.V.

"dave Admin" wrote:

> My server is currently WIN2000 and I recently added a printer and shared it
> and set it to be listed in the directory. My first time publishing a
> printer as I am migrating from Netware.
>
> I can't find the printer in AD unless I invoke Advanced Features in the MMC
> and use the "FIND" dialog. I then immediately come up with the published
> printer. My question is where do I locate any published printer in Active
> Directory by walking the tree?? In Netware, all leaf objects are listed
> under each OU but I have found no equivelent capability in AD so far.
>
> daveM

TRENDING THREADS