Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
People joked about dual core semprons; now they might actually be coming.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20060711032709.html
http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20060710A1001.html

I think this announcement is to cover their asses over the K8L delay, which, acording to the DigiTimes article, is coming in 2008.
No matter how advanced the technology is, sooner or later it will migrate to mainstream and even entry-level microprocessors. According to a report from an Asian web-site, AMD Sempron processors will acquire second core as early as in the Q3 2007, a year from now.

“AMD’s entry-level processors will all feature dual-core architecture by the third quarter of 2007, when its last single-core CPU – the Athlon 64 – will start to be phased out in the market,” a news-story over DigiTimes web-site claims, citing industry sources.
Too bad it's a least a year out...

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Actually those are Athlons with 256 K of L2 / core and the 3600+ (2GHz) is rumoured to be coming first (Q3 2006).

The only thing I am not liking about AMD's strategy is this AM2 only future products: I put togeather my PC just 1 moth before AM2 was out and now would upgrade to a cheap dual core as the 3600+ is to be but WTF, I am cursed with a 939 :evil:

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I think this announcement is to cover their asses over the K8L delay, which, acording to the DigiTimes article, is coming in 2008.

You really think dual-core Semprons are going to appease those who are eagerly waiting for K8L?

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005

You really think dual-core Semprons are going to appease those who are eagerly waiting for K8L?
You're talking about the enthusiast market? It's small and vocal, but do you really think the OEM's will care about what we say? Budget dual cores are a hole in AMD's product lineup; while it's nice to see them take action to satisfy this potentially huge market, it's a year off and will have to compete with the second/third generation Conroe. I fear it's too little, too late.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
You're talking about the enthusiast market? It's small and vocal, but do you really think the OEM's will care about what we say? Budget dual cores are a hole in AMD's product lineup; while it's nice to see them take action to satisfy this potentially huge market, it's a year off and will have to compete with the second/third generation Conroe. I fear it's too little, too late.

I think the netburst PentiumDs will be aroung for another while and cheaper than Conroes so AMD still needs to fill that hole. People in general already know that X2s perform better than PDs so with a lower price, X2 models with 256 L2 would be much more attractive.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Actually those are Athlons with 256 K of L2 / core and the 3600+ (2GHz) is rumoured to be coming first (Q3 2006).

The only thing I am not liking about AMD's strategy is this AM2 only future products: I put togeather my PC just 1 moth before AM2 was out and now would upgrade to a cheap dual core as the 3600+ is to be but WTF, I am cursed with a 939 :evil:

The 3800 X2 is cheap and is on 939.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006

$290? Not for me man! :cry:
That's why I love the 3600+; same performance (renderings don't care about L2), half the price.

battousai831

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
290 ofr not too much longer, wait for dual core prices.... it should be around 170ish i don't rember exactly where i read this i'll try to find it, but thats what i am going for later.

RichPLS

Champion
If you are buying a new motherboard, CPU and RAM... Who cares about AMD? With Intel's C2D shipping currently at stated pricing, AMD is out of the question for reasonably intelligent consumers...
Why pay more just to get less... less except for the heat! :lol: :p :lol:

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
If you are buying a new motherboard, CPU and RAM... Who cares about AMD? With Intel's C2D shipping currently at stated pricing, AMD is out of the question for reasonably intelligent consumers...

The problem is that I can't upgrade everything and got to stick with my A8V-MX and 1G DDR. The most intelligent thing I can do is upgrade to a dual core 939 and that does my job. A total upgrade is spending too much for too few performance (I'm not gaming so don't need conroe or K8L for now). If I had a lot of money I'd buy myself a metal box or a quad opetron :D

pengwin

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006

939 has something AM2 will never have.

Opterons

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
RIGHT! I had almost forgotten opetrons but until I have a Job that gives me enough money OPETRONS are something I will never have :cry: :? :lol:

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

You mean third or fourth stepping because Core 2 will be Core 2. By cancelling single core and going to 65nm they will be able to make a 3200+ dual core with the space. That will be next year early.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Since you have 14000+ posts I'm sure that's the advice you gave when NetBust was melting cases and X2 was setting records.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

$290? Not for me man! :cry:
That's why I love the 3600+; same performance (renderings don't care about L2), half the price.

It'll be a little more than half that in a week. You can get a lot more perf from Core 2 but some people like Chevy, some people like Ford. Buy what you want. I have a 939 system that I put $2500 into and I am not upgrading until I see quad from AMD.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
It'll be a little more than half that in a week. You can get a lot more perf from Core 2 but some people like Chevy, some people like Ford. Buy what you want. I have a 939 system that I put $2500 into and I am not upgrading until I see quad from AMD.

I'll just stick with my 3000+ @ 2GHz for now, it's no more than 2months since my upgrade from a 2GHz celeron and I feel reborn. Maybe at the end of the yea will go for an update but only the CPU :wink:

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I put $2500 into and I am not upgrading until I see quad from AMD.
I'm very sure that is true. I'm willing to go so far as to say that if AMD doesn't bring out quad for 10 years, you'll faithfully wait for them.(like a girlfirend waiting for her boyfriend to get out of jail in 25 years). "I'll be here for you honey, i promise. I won't be unfaithful with anyone else". :roll:

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I dont see a need to upgrade at all in the forseeable future, my D930 at 4.2ghz is a monster, does anything i want it to do (and the whole rig cost me barely anything. Cpu cost £120, Graphics card £200, Mobo £70 etc). Same with both my other rigs, all perfectly fine for anything on todays market. Only thing im intending to upgrade on my main PC is the Graphics card when the next gen come out.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
I put $2500 into and I am not upgrading until I see quad from AMD.
I'm very sure that is true. I'm willing to go so far as to say that if AMD doesn't bring out quad for 10 years, you'll faithfully wait for them.(like a girlfirend waiting for her boyfriend to get out of jail in 25 years). "I'll be here for you honey, i promise. I won't be unfaithful with anyone else". :roll:

I expect it will be Q2 next year. About the right time. I may upgrade if they all of a sudden lose all of their fabs and can't produce them but it looks like they designed K8 to go MULTI core so I'm not worried.

RichPLS

Champion
Why pay more just to get less... less except for the heat! :lolP :lol:

Since you have 14000+ posts I'm sure that's the advice you gave when Netboost was melting cases and X2 was setting records.

I actually try to recommend what is best currently... might be why my main PC is an Opteron.

My preference of manufacture will flux, depending on who currently has the best at that time. AMD and Intel are both great companies, IMO 8)