Conroe : to Single or to Dual ?? and benchmarks !

St8Eazy

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
going to buy the E6600 conroe but dont wanna make the transition to dual core rather wait till vista

are conroe benchmarks done one 1 active core or 2 ?

if i decided to run it one 1 core for 32bit xp will there be any performance decrease ?

going to buy the E6600 conroe but dont wanna make the transition to dual core rather wait till vista

are conroe benchmarks done one 1 active core or 2 ?

if i decided to run it one 1 core for 32bit xp will there be any performance decrease ?

Dude, let me set you straight in case you're wondering why people posted comments like:

"ok, bye"

Conroe is a dual core CPU. Period.

Once you buy Conroe you will had made the transistion to dual core.

Benchmarks takes advantage of both cores as long as the operating system supports it.

Windows XP Home does not support dual core (to the best of my knowledge). Windows XP Pro does support dual core.

Click here and go down to the 3rd post for benchmarks. Messege #153.

Bazukaz

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
As far as i know intel will release two versions of conroe - core 2 duo (dual core) and core 2 solo(single core).
I think that the difference between dual and single core lies in the applications used. For example , audio/video encoding , future games may take the advantage of dual cores. However , word processing applications , as well as web browsing , will probably not.

sithscout80

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2006
Windows XP Home does not support dual core (to the best of my knowledge). Windows XP Pro does support dual core.

XP Home supports 1 physical processor with Hyperthreading and/or Dual Core processors.
XP Pro supports up to 2 physical processors with Hyperthreading and/or Dual Core processors.

Hyperthreading and Dual Core are supported in XP Home because the operating system sees them as virtual CPUs.