Dead dc that held RID, PDC and Infrastructure master roles

No backup of it...just recently built.

Anyway to re-create those roles on an existing DC in the same domain, or do
I need to tear down the domain, and totally rebuild?

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about dead held infrastructure master roles

    If you have a second dc in the domain, which I assume you do. You can
    rebuild the server, promote and then seize the FSMO roles

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255504

    > No backup of it...just recently built.
    >
    > Anyway to re-create those roles on an existing DC in the same domain, or
    do
    > I need to tear down the domain, and totally rebuild?

    Absolutely -- seize those roles using NTDSUtil.

    But once you do so you must accept that even should
    that old role holder DC be miraculously resurrected
    that you will NOT bring it back online as a DC.

    While you are at it, you will want to remove that DC
    from AD.

    Removing a DC using NTDS metadata cleanup

    Search Google for:

    [ NTDS "metadata cleanup" remove DC Domain ]

    No need to add either site:microsoft.com OR microsoft:
    since the NTDS and other terms make it Microsoft specific
    by itself.

    Unless you WISH to restrict answers to the site:microsoft.com
    for some reason.

    [ NTDS "metadata cleanup" remove DC Domain site:microsoft.com ]

    Key points to NOTE when doing the metadata cleanup:

    You CONNECT to a WORKING DC.
    You SELECT the missing/dead DC or DOMAIN

    'Connect' and 'Select' are technical terms in this context.

Domain Infrastructure Active Directory Windows