Dead dc that held RID, PDC and Infrastructure master roles

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
March 25, 2005 5:26:18 PM

No backup of it...just recently built.

Anyway to re-create those roles on an existing DC in the same domain, or do
I need to tear down the domain, and totally rebuild?

Thanks
Anonymous
March 25, 2005 7:30:54 PM

If you have a second dc in the domain, which I assume you do. You can
rebuild the server, promote and then seize the FSMO roles

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;255504

"Scott" <scott@rosehome.net> wrote in message
> No backup of it...just recently built.
>
> Anyway to re-create those roles on an existing DC in the same domain, or
do
> I need to tear down the domain, and totally rebuild?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
March 25, 2005 10:37:36 PM

> No backup of it...just recently built.
>
> Anyway to re-create those roles on an existing DC in the same domain, or
do
> I need to tear down the domain, and totally rebuild?

Absolutely -- seize those roles using NTDSUtil.

But once you do so you must accept that even should
that old role holder DC be miraculously resurrected
that you will NOT bring it back online as a DC.

While you are at it, you will want to remove that DC
from AD.

Removing a DC using NTDS metadata cleanup

Search Google for:

[ NTDS "metadata cleanup" remove DC Domain ]

No need to add either site:microsoft.com OR microsoft:
since the NTDS and other terms make it Microsoft specific
by itself.

Unless you WISH to restrict answers to the site:microsoft.com
for some reason.

[ NTDS "metadata cleanup" remove DC Domain site:microsoft.com ]

Key points to NOTE when doing the metadata cleanup:

You CONNECT to a WORKING DC.
You SELECT the missing/dead DC or DOMAIN

'Connect' and 'Select' are technical terms in this context.
!