Is a graphics card worthwhile?

b14desman

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Is it worthwhile adding a graphics card to a new build when the pc will only be used for watching video's and tv? (That is, it's not used for gaming)

Thanks
B14desman

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
It's a good idea to have a dedicated graphics card if you're just going to be web browsing, watching videos/DVDs/TV etc...

It doesn't take a massive amount of RAM or CPU power to do any of those things, so I'm guessing you're going to just spend the bare minimum - I.E. something like a Celeron, and perhaps a limited amount of RAM.

My point is, for a system like that you're likely to only have a small amount of RAM, and an onboard solution will be eating into it.

pcwhiz

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Integrated graphics generally do not affect the computers general performance too much. If your just doing basic tasks then a graphics card is really a waste of money.

prozac26

Distinguished
May 9, 2005
Integrated graphics generally do not affect the computers general performance too much. If your just doing basic tasks then a graphics card is really a waste of money.
Most onboard chips are so crap, they won't play movies at a decent quality. Having a cheap card, is better. Also, onboard graphics use system memory, so they do affect performance.

b14desman

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Thanks for the replies.
Think I'll use on board graphics to start with and add a graphics card at a later stage.
cheers
b14desman