Converting PSW to DOC without syncing

December 5, 2004 10:33:08 PM

At work my PC runs Windows 2000 Pro. Our IS dept does not allow us to
install any software or sync our PDAs with our computers. However, using
a media card reader, for which I need not install a driver to use, I can
copy Pocket Word (psw) files I write during meetings onto my work PC.
So, is there any way to convert a psw file to doc format without
installing ActiveSync on the desktop machine? Preferably, this would
need to be a program that, when installed, does not write outside the
current user section of the registry or write to the registry at all.

Thanks in advance,
Bruce
Vienna, VA
December 5, 2004 10:33:09 PM

In article <uvL4psy2EHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
Bruce Scherzinger <please.post@news.group> wrote:

> At work my PC runs Windows 2000 Pro. Our IS dept does not allow us to
> install any software or sync our PDAs with our computers. However, using
> a media card reader, for which I need not install a driver to use, I can
> copy Pocket Word (psw) files I write during meetings onto my work PC.
> So, is there any way to convert a psw file to doc format without
> installing ActiveSync on the desktop machine? Preferably, this would
> need to be a program that, when installed, does not write outside the
> current user section of the registry or write to the registry at all.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Bruce
> Vienna, VA

Odd. On the HPC I can use PocketWord to save as Desktop Word 97/2000/XP
format. Can you not do the same on your PPC?

John
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 11:25:26 PM

John wrote:
> In article <uvL4psy2EHA.2788@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
> Bruce Scherzinger <please.post@news.group> wrote:
>

>>At work my PC runs Windows 2000 Pro. Our IS dept does not allow us to
>>install any software or sync our PDAs with our computers. However, using
>>a media card reader, for which I need not install a driver to use, I can
>>copy Pocket Word (psw) files I write during meetings onto my work PC.
>>So, is there any way to convert a psw file to doc format without
>>installing ActiveSync on the desktop machine? Preferably, this would
>>need to be a program that, when installed, does not write outside the
>>current user section of the registry or write to the registry at all.
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>>Bruce
>>Vienna, VA
>

> Odd. On the HPC I can use PocketWord to save as Desktop Word 97/2000/XP
> format. Can you not do the same on your PPC?
>

> John
Geez, I can't believe I didn't check for that. It doesn't show up as an
option until you are editing a document, which is why I missed it (it
looked a bit light on options without a document open). Thanks for this
hint and the "duh" moment.

Bruce
Anonymous
May 30, 2009 2:04:49 PM

OpenOffice (You can get it free) will save doc files as PSW and there's a program called Text Maker Viewer by microsoft(This is free too) that lets to see PSW files on your pc. The only real issues are you can't edit text maker files but you can copy and paste them into a doc file. The other issue is when you're saving doc files to psw it does not take the formating though alot of the time depending on the size of the file you can reformat the text on your PDA however, while it'll let you read the whole file on the PDA soemtimes it'll restrict how far you can edit it. So you can read to the end but after a certain point if you touch the text with the stylus it'll jump back to the furthest point allowed. It's not perfect but at least it lets you edit and transfer files from one location to the other.

Hope that's helpful.

Laura
!